Golden Eagles out of contest for C-USA West Division crown

After a 4 – 1 start to the season, the Golden Eagles are poised to achieve their goals of winning the conference championship and possibly making a prestigious bowl game appearance.

However, after several missteps, the Golden Eagles are now 1 – 4 in the last five games and may have jeopardized the goal of a bowl appearance

After losing 35 -51 to Old Dominion this past weekend, The Golden Eagles dropped the ball for contention for the C-USA West Division crown.

The Golden Eagles are now in the wake of the toughest part of the schedule and still have yet to reach the six-win mark to qualify for a bowl game. Not to mention, one of their last two games are on the road, and the only home game is against rival Louisiana Tech.

However, if the Golden Eagles were to win out and achieve an 7-5 mark, a bowl game is still achievable and the goal. If the Golden Eagles manage to play to its fullest potential, they could easily defeat whomever they would have to play in the bowl game. In the event that they were to win out, they could possibly end up in the Military Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, or the Birmingham bowl.

In a more likely scenario, based off of how the team has played in recent weeks, they should be able to win one more game by the end of the season and will most likely reach a 6-6 record.

In this case, the Golden Eagles could find themselves in either the New Orleans Bowl or the Cure Bowl. If they were to make the New Orleans bowl, they would most likely face a rematch with Troy, who has dominated the Sun Belt.

Although they lost to Troy earlier in the season, the Golden Eagles could walk away with a victory.

Despite the fact that the team would end the season without the conference championship title, it would still be the school’s first bowl game win since 2011.

This would also be the senior class’ first title after being part of the forgettable 0-12 season.