All the single ladies: Have fun Feb. 14

Infographic by Parker Brewer Source: www.statisticbrain.com
Infographic by Parker Brewer
Source: www.statisticbrain.com

For many people, Valentine’s Day is spent with a significant other at their favorite spot in town with chocolate and wine by their side. As for me, I haven’t had a significant other since my senior year of high school. This year, as I have been doing for the past several years, I will spend Valentine’s Day with my closest girl friends drinking at a local bar, loudly voicing my opinion that Valentine’s Day is vastly overrated.

Valentine’s Day can bring any single lady down. What with the hearts, flowers and romantically lit restaurants, both perpetually single and newly single women tend to feel a bit under the weather on this grandest of holidays. This year, I want every single lady out there to remember that though this lifestyle has its cons, it definitely has more pros.

Pro:
Christmas gifts, anniversary gifts, Valentine’s Day gifts…they are all so expensive.
Con:
I wanted a Michael Kors watch for Christmas too, OK?

Con:
There is nobody to buy me flowers.
Pro:
I can buy the kind of flowers I want. And, besides, flowers die anyway.
Pro:
Drinking cheap beer while watching copious amounts of Epic Rap Battles of History and other YouTube videos with my guy friends is by far one of my favorite pastimes. Being single gives me more time for bro time.
Con:
I just referred to myself as a “bro.”

Pro:
I don’t have to pretend to like my boyfriend’s taste in music. Also, at music festivals, I can bounce from one sexy festhead to the next.
Con:
Concert tickets are expensive.

Pro:
Going out is more fun when multiple guys are competing for your attention with multiple rounds of shots and exaggerated invitations to dance.

Con:
Newly shaven legs, lipstick and my A-game are three things I cannot head to the bar without.

Pro:
I have more time to dedicate to myself. I live on my time and my time only. I have dreams that I can make happen and there is no man that can hold me back.
Con:
There is no con to that.

Pro:
Nick Missel is still single.
Con:
With that shuttle service and all, he is a pretty busy guy.

Pro:
Just because there is a goalie doesn’t mean you can’t score.
Con:
If you live by that statement, you might as well get the word “home-wrecker” tattooed on your forehead.

Pro:
You can be a really messy eater and not even feel guilty about it.
Con:
You are awful at first dates.

Pro:
You never have to make your bed. You never have to clean your room.
Con:
The closest to spooning I have gotten in the past few years is with my pillow or with a carton of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.

Pro:
You can watch as many hours of “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Gossip Girl” as you want.
Con:
Derek and Meredith. Chuck and Blair.

And last but definitely not least….

Pro:
You never know who you are going home with.
Con:

While taking some time to gather my thoughts, I took a “Why are you single?” quiz on Buzzfeed.com. According to my results, I am just too bad; but like Jennifer Lawrence in “The Hunger Games” bad. I am too bad to be tied down to a man.

Sure, some of my nights are filled with uncontrollable sobbing as I rewatch the scene of Chuck confessing his love for Blair or the scene when Derek asks Meredith to marry him. But, then again, many of my nights are filled with uncontrollable laughter as I awkwardly dance with strangers and scrounge for $2.81 to pay for my Taco Bell at the end of the night. In case you were wondering, $2.81 will get you a Beefy 5-Layer burrito, cheesy nachos and a small water cup.

With all of this being said, if you are single this Valentine’s Day, live it up. Grab some gals and take on this day with your head held high and your standards down low. There is only one day out of the year you can celebrate being in a relationship but there are 364 more days you can celebrate you.