Pride Band showcases “The Olympics”

The Pride of Mississippi Marching band has its first Screamin’ Eagle Dash 5K run, Jan. 24 at 3 p.m. starting at Pride Field and going around campus. The band and Dixie Darlings are raising money for their trip to Ireland this semester with their 5K event. -Susan Broadbridge

On Friday, Sept. 1, The Pride of Mississippi marching band presented its ‘Pride Preview’ on Centennial Lawn.

Pride Preview allows USM’s band to showcase its half-time performances for football season the Southern Miss community. Many students, USM alumni and community members attended the event.

Pride color guard member Hannah Hill said the Pride’s theme this semester is “The Olympics.”

“The night was amazing,” Hill said. “It felt as if a whole new beginning of the year had started. When we perform, it feels as if nothing else matters. When the audience cheers, we feel a great rush of pride to know that we carry on a wonderful tradition.

“I am very proud of the hard work put in by The Pride of Mississippi,” said Pride director Colin McKenzie. “They had a terrific showing on Friday evening, continuing to demonstrate the best attributes of The University of Southern Mississippi. I hope all of our fans stick around for half time next Saturday to enjoy our Olympic Spirit show. It will be a great time.”

“We will be featuring some tunes that remind us of Rio,” Hill said. “Our closer is ‘Summon the Heroes,’ and it’s so cool to do a routine to because it feels as if we should be competing [in the Olympics] ourselves. I do believe that our show is gold medal worthy.”