Campus activities plan to spook for Halloween

Halloween is known for its related festivities. From trick-or-treating to costume parties to scary movie showings, it seems that everyone has elaborate plans for the night. For those who don’t have plans, don’t worry. On campus, the air is buzzing with activity and there’s a host of events to keep students occupied during this holiday week.

Thursday, Century Park will host “Are You Scared?” on the Century Park Lawn starting at 9 p.m. There will be showings of old Halloween-related shows, such as “Goosebumps” and “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” Even more intriguing is the mystery that surrounds the night. There will be a mystery game played by attendees. Snacks will be provided, and students are asked to bring blankets to sit on.

Monday, Oct. 28, the Payne Center Recreational Sports committee will host the Southern Miss Creepy Crawl 5K costume run. Participants should arrive at the Payne Center in costume from 4-5:30 p.m. for check-in. The race will begin at 6 p.m.

Admission is $10 for the general public, but free for students and faculty with recreational sports memberships. There will be prizes for the fastest runner and best costume. Anyone who wishes to volunteer with the race can register online at www.usm.edu/rec-sports.

Monday, Oct. 28, is the Honors College Halloween Party. The party will take place from 4-6 p.m. at the Honor House. Costumes are welcome, though not required. There will be music, games, decorations and plenty of food. All Honors College students are welcome and the event is free.

Tuesday, Oct. 29, the Payne Center will host the House of Payne Haunted House. The event will take place from 6-10:30 p.m. at the Payne Center. Admission is free, but is only open to students.

Wednesday, Oct. 30, the Freshman Fall Festival will take place in the Freshman Quad. This event is free and open to everyone. Check-in is from 5-5:15 p.m., and there will be food, music, dancing and games with prizes. There will also be guest speakers talking about the origins and celebrations of Day of the Dead and Halloween.

Everyone can set aside their anxiety about not having holiday plans. With the abundance of food and festivities, whatever you decide to do, you’re sure to have a spectacular, spooky time.