Academic Dead Week not honored by teachers

The week before finals should be a grace period so we can focus on studying. Someone should implement a “Dead Week” so that students can be fully prepared for finals.

Oh, wait. We do have a Dead Week.

A high-ranking Student Government Association officer said a policy was passed in the legislation of former SGA Cabinet President Jeffrey George.

That was a year ago.

Yet two Dead Weeks have passed, and most of us are still slamming together projects, presentations and speeches that our anxiety cannot take.

The Academic Dead Week Policy, signed on Oct. 6, 2015 by The University of Southern Mississippi President Rodney Bennett, Interim Provost Steven Moser and SGA President Jeffrey George, states that “the last five class days of the fall and spring semesters are designated as ‘dead’ week’ for undergraduate students. During this period, instructors cannot give exams that count as 15 percent or more of the final course grade. Instructors can assign major papers and/or projects, which count as 15 percent or more of the final course grade only if the assignment is stated in the course syllabus.”

I appreciate my teachers for giving me a week off for studying for the final exam, but how can I focus on the final while working on a major project that took me a week to complete? This is not an efficient line of thinking when four other teachers have the same idea.

Dead Week is supposed to be a time of peace and a time to study for the numerous exams before going home for the holidays. It should not be a time when I have to juggle making holiday flight plans while listening to recorded lectures and studying for a final exam for a course in which I already have a D.

Through my four years at this university, I have seen Dead Week turn the strong into the weak as the weather gets colder and the Starbucks lines get longer. Dead Week should be about studying — not about stressing.

So now I only have one question.

Is it possible for me to report my entire class load of professors?