USM president hosts international students

Sarah Grace Meyn
Dr. Joe Paul, Mrs. Meg, and their lovely dog Cash pose for a photo in front of their home with all the International students who came to the lovely reception to honors the student’s success this past year.

Southern Miss President Dr. Joe Paul recently hosted international students at the President’s House on April 24. The event was organized by the International Student and Scholar Services. International students at Southern Miss signed up for the event and were taken to the President’s House in the shuttle because of parking limitations. There were different trips to the destination because one shuttle was not big enough for all the students going there.

The event started at 4 pm. The dress code for the event was business casual. Since there were a lot of students for the event, students had to sign up and be invited before they could join the event. The event was first come first serve for the students who signed up.

The students were greeted by the President and his wife, Meg Paul at the door. The students then went inside the President’s House where they had lunch and talked to other international students and the Pauls. The students explored the house or socialized while they ate.

The President then talked to the students when they finished eating. He started the talk by explaining how important international students are for the school and how a lot of the budget depends on the international student fees. He then talked about the architecture of the house, the architecture of the school, and showed what the architect aimed for the school to look like. He also revealed that he had been either studying or working in Southern Miss his entire adult life. He also talked about the history of the house and how the President of the university is required to stay in the President’s house.

After the President finished his talk, Binita Dhakal, an international student from Nepal, was recognized for winning the state-wide International Student of the Year award. She won a certificate and an iPad for winning the competition. Among other things, Dhakal founded the student club ‘Girls Who Code,’ taught Nepali dance to other students, and was active in many different international events.

After the award, everybody took a photo with the Pauls in front of the President’s House. The international students were then returned back to campus on the shuttles again.

“The event was really fun and made me feel appreciated as an international student,” said Jessica Shrestha, an international student majoring in Polymer Engineering. “Being invited to the President’s House showed me that the university really cares for its international students.”

The President has been hosting international students at his house every year and the event will likely also take place next year.