‘Lighting the Way’ to ring in the holidays

Mary Alice Truitt
Members of the Spirit of Southern perform for students and residents of Hattiesburg at Lighting the Way on Dec. 8, 2012. Mary Alice Truitt / Printz
Members of the Spirit of Southern perform for students and residents of Hattiesburg at Lighting the Way on Dec. 8, 2012.
Mary Alice Truitt / Printz

“Lighting the Way for the Holidays” will kick off the Christmas holiday Dec. 3 in front of the Aubrey K. Lucas Administration building featuring activities presented by the Student Government Association.

“Lighting the Way” is not only an opportunity to support the community, but a way to bring the community to campus to celebrate the holiday season.

Every year, SGA chooses one local charity to support. This year SGA chose Drug-free Resources for Education and Alternatives in Mississippi or DREAM of Hattiesburg.
DREAM of Hattiesburg is a nonprofit organization working to reduce and prevent the use of alcohol, tobacco and drugs in Mississippi.

“There is always a special significance for ‘Lighting the Way,’ but this year will be even more special because it will be a time for the university and the community to come celebrate the holidays on the front of our campus that has recently been restored,” said SGA President Ann Marie Chilcutt.

“It is a time for us to come and be thankful and truly count our blessings,” Chilcutt said. “It is a tradition that is exciting and important because it brings together our university and the community.”

Activities include making reindeer ornaments, writing letters to Santa and collecting reindeer food. The event will start at 5 p.m. and musical performances will begin at 5:30 p.m. The event will also feature the lighting of the campus Christmas tree.

“I really would love to see our student body coming out and participating this year,” Chilcutt said. “It has been a year to remember with the tornado and the destruction that it caused to our campus, and the ability to have this event out there is definitely one with great significance because we are still here and going strong.”

“Lighting the Way” is free and open to the public. After the event is over, the Freshman Associates, the freshman branch of SGA, will host a showing of the movie “Elf” on Centennial Lawn. Chilcutt said those attending should bring a warm blanket and enjoy the holiday cookies and hot chocolate that will be provided.