‘Candyman’ is not a new invention — it is a reminder

After more than 20 years since the last film, the new ‘Candyman’ sequel successfully advances the series, blending the accidental horrors of old black America with the recent progression of new black America. 

The 2021 ‘Candyman’ is the fourth installation in the series and premiered in theaters on Aug. 27. The first ‘Candyman’ premiered in theaters in 1992, with two sequels coming out in 1995 and 1999 respectively. This stacked the odds against Nia DaCosta, its director, as that meant she was updating and re-imaging a story that filmgoers have already seen at least three different times. 

The pressure mounted onto DaCosta was enormous, especially considering “Candyman’s” significance as one of the few black horror icons in the genre. However, DaCosta was well prepared for this responsibility. 

Before filming even began, DaCosta already won four film related awards and been nominated for several others. Despite being a relative newcomer, her fan base is growing, and her creativity seems to be its backbone. She did not disappoint with the new ‘Candyman’, which has already grossed over $22 million. 

Yahya Albdul-Mateen ll plays an artist, Anthony McCoy, that is struggling with his creativity. Time is of the essence in the artistic world of painting because you are only as good as your last painting. It is especially important for McCoy, as he searches for new ways to connect with the world through his art. In searching for a new subject, however, he discovers a location that has a past of violence and pain. He soon finds out that he is linked to the trauma that spills from this horrified place, and has to figure out just how real Candyman actually is. 

The movie is brilliant in terms of creativity. The story of “Candyman” has been told and re-told for years, but this movie reminds a generation of black history within cinema while still making it fun for every ticket buyer to enjoy. This movie goes beyond the stereotypical scare tactics of horror films and combines the themes of adventure, sadness, reality and vengeance.

The film illustrates how important stereotypes can be used to destroy a person’s image. Sometimes rumors are used before logic and crime is based on circumstances. Sometimes stories are told based on whatever the messenger believes. This is something that every human can relate to. All of these are themes that are conveyed through the movie, making it more than just about ‘Candyman’. Even the chant takes on a whole new meaning if someone says it from home, school or any other social event.

Though this film is not groundbreaking, it is still pretty good. The creativity in its presentation saved the film and made it a unique, thrilling experience for all.