Ghostface Returns as Scream (2022) Takes Over Theaters

Joseph+Weishaar
Joseph Weishaar

The Scream franchise has both frightened and entertained audiences since the 1990s, so it is no surprise that a fifth installment of the film was produced. The film stars the original cast– Neve Campbell, David Arquette and Courteney Cox. New additions include Jack Quaid, Dylan Minnette, Mikey Madison, Jenna Ortega and Melissa Barrera as the lead character of Sam.

The film occurs in the town of Woodsboro, like the previous films. The opening scene features the return of Ghostface, the recurring villain of the franchise. Ghostface attacks Tara (Ortega), thus igniting the night of terror.

Sam (Barrera) and Richie (Quaid), return to Woodsboro to check on Tara. She survives the initial attack, but Ghostface continues to wreak havoc onto the friend group. Having nowhere else to turn, Sam and Richie visit Dewey (Arquette). Dewey provides insight on Ghostface as the character’s pattern is revealed: one member of the group always knows something about another’s past. Sam and Richie ask for Dewey’s help, but he is reluctant to join them. 

Dewey meets with Sam, Richie and the rest of the friend group to reveal the potential motives of Ghostface. The friends are combative and Sam flees. Dewey contacts Sidney (Campbell), to tell her Ghostface has returned. Sidney is warned to stay away, which she initially does. Gale (Cox), returns to Woodsboro after Ghostface murders her friend. Sam and Dewey go to the hospital to check on Tara after learning that the deputy that was assigned to guard her was seen at the crime scene. Ghostface awaits their arrival.

Attacks continue at the hospital which leads Sidney to the original cast. The third act culminates at the house from the original Scream. Towards the ending of the film, it is revealed that there are 2 killers, thus the action peaks.

This is the first Scream movie that Wes Craven has not contributed to, due to his death in 2015. It  is directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett. Gary Busick and James Vanderbilt wrote the screenplay, and the characters were created by Kevin Williamson. The film has grossed over 85 million dollars worldwide, with a 24 million dollar budget. Rotten Tomatoes rates Scream as “Certified Fresh” with a 77 percent  approval rating.

Scream is an intriguing story with the occasional great performance. Arquette, in particular, delivered one of his best performances to date. Campbell and Cox do not disappoint, but the new cast held their own as well. Quaid and Ortega gave the best performances, as the supporting cast carried the movie. The only weakness was the lead. Barrera had some great moments with real emotion, but at other times her emotions did not translate. The killing scenes were phenomenally executed, but the film is not as frightful as the previous installments. The film is meta, meaning it references past movies and the real world. It does all to break the fourth wall except staring at the camera. This contributed to humorous jokes and displayed creativity.
Overall, Scream is an above-average horror film that is worth the watch for horror movie fans. Who knows, maybe they will Scream out of excitement or horror, only time will tell. The film is showing in theaters for a limited time.