‘Uncharted’ lives past casting concerns

This past weekend Uncharted, a prominent video game series made its way to the big screen, despite critics and fans’ distaste for the casting choices.

The film stars Tom Holland as Nathan Drake, Mark Wahlberg as Victor “Sully” Sullivan and Antonio Banderas. There was some controversy around the choices of casting Nathan Drake and Sully, which were that Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg were too young and they didn’t accurately /represent the characters.

We’ve seen some of the biggest movie and video game movies fail because of this so Uncharted had a lot to do right to convince its audience of an authentic Uncharted feel.

The premise of the movie is based on the video game series. nit for those who haven’t played the game like I have, Nathan Drake [Holland] is a young bartender in New York, who has a knack for stealing and is a young fortune hunter who is one day recruited by Victor “Sully” Sullivan [Wahlberg] to help him locate the hidden treasure from the Magellan expedition. 

Drake and Sully run into trouble as they run into trouble with Santiago Moncada [Banderas], a ruthless treasure hunter who is looking for the treasure himself. 

I might have missed some of the references that hardcore Uncharted fans enjoyed, but it is enjoyable for what it was regardless.

The fight scenes were exciting. We got to see solid action scenes from Tom Holland, who I think has pretty much settled into the action roles especially coming from Spider-Man No Way Home.

Mark Wahlberg had a good role and their chemistry works even though it’s a different pairing than what fans expect from the iconic video game duo.

A surprising performance was Tati Gabrielle, who played the role of Jo Braddock. She captured attention every time she was on the screen and she had the mercenary role down pact. 

Also, the graphic visuals are impressive and make it feel true to the game, especially the iconic plane dive scene from ‘Uncharted 3’. Sony and Playstation were behind this movie and it shows.

However, this movie did drag on at some point. I felt myself dosing off in the middle of the movie almost twice with a runtime of nearly two hours 

With the storyline, they also tried to accomplish too much in one film, rushing some scenes, especially when Drake and Sully meet for the first time. 

More stories could’ve been touched on like Sully’s past or knowing more about Nathan Drake’s background. Everybody knows who Nathan Drake is but it would have been a great opportunity to show more of his origin.

6.7 out of 10.