Sorority recognized for St. Jude donation

The Phi Epsilon Chapter of Delta Delta Delta Sorority at The University of Southern Mississippi donated $68,000 to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The St. Jude Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., has a Southern Miss flag hanging on the wall with each member’s signature on it. Other university flags hang alongside to represent top fund-raising chapters.
The flag represents the Phi Epsilon chapter raising the most money for the medium division of the sorority nationally.

Tri Delta member Becca Daniel said seeing the flag hanging in St. Jude was humbling.

“The fact that the USM flag is hanging in St. Jude gives me such a sense of pride for my chapter, my school and my community,” Daniel said. “Having personally seen the flag there with all of our signatures is extremely humbling and it really makes all of our hard work worth it. It really puts into perspective what all of our efforts are for.”

Tri Delta Philanthropy Chair Elizabeth Whitehead said she is overjoyed.

“Words cannot describe it,” Whitehead said. “It is so humbling knowing that we are a part of something that is moving mountains. It just makes us more hungry and eager to do more and beat the next goal St. Jude challenges us with.”

White said they are eagerly waiting to hear the new goal in June.

In 2010, Tri Delta set a goal to raise $15 million in five years, but the goal was completed a year and a half before.

Daniel said she is proud to have been a part of it.

“Prior to the goal of 15 in five, Tri Delta had a goal of $10 million in 10 years and met that goal in just four years,” Daniel said. “Meeting these goals so far ahead of schedule just proves how much Tri Delta cares about the children at St. Jude and the impact that we know we can make for them.”

Whitehead said Tri Delta not only is recognized for the contributions, but the university is also recognized.

“I have fallen in love with the mission and am so honored and eager to lead our chapter in achieving our new goal,” Whitehead said.

For the 2014 year, the Phi Epsilon chapter hopes to raise $72,000 so the Southern Miss flag can continue to hang on the Tri Delta Patient Care floor.

“Knowing we can really make a difference changes our whole mindset when it comes to fundraising,” Daniel said. “After several visits to St. Jude, we all know where our money is going and how much of an impact
we can make if we continue to work hard.”

Whitehead not only agreed, but also said it is an honor to work toward these goals.

“It’s overpowering to know we have had the privilege to contribute to saving the lives of many children,” Whitehead said. “St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is a place that all of our members will truly hold close to their hearts for a lifetime.”

Whitehead said their annual Triple Play Cheer Competition will be March 26 and the softball tournament will be March 28-29. Both of these events are fundraisers for the Phi Epsilon chapter and all proceeds will go to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

For more information, e-mail [email protected].