‘Requiem’: A Repose From Suffering

Requiem: A Repose From Suffering

Korn’s latest album Requiem, released on Feb. 4 marks the band’s 14th studio album. Korn is a very consistent band, but they brought something new with this album—something lighter. It’s short and sweet, which may even be pushing it for their aggressive sound. 

This is an album where the feeling is more “divine”. It’s nu-metal in its most melodious form: Requiem.

‘Requiem’ stands at just nine tracks. Each song is around four minutes long, which is regular for Korn, but it leaves the album at only 32 minutes. This is a tasteful amount that keeps me, and many other Korn fans, wanting more. 

Korn proved that you can sing about something hopeful and happy and keep that dark touch that has always existed within. 

Reflecting on their last album, you can hear the emotional growth, lyric-wise, in the band members’ lives. 

Their 2019 album ‘The Nothing’, as the title suggests, sounds almost hopeless. ‘Requiem’ represents the opposite—hope. 

Something that is missing, though, is that ruggedness associated with the 90s and early 2000s Korn. 

Don’t get it wrong because the ruggedness and coarseness are still definitely there, but it is somewhat different. Rumbling, headbang-inducing guitar riffs are also very prominent.

‘Start The Healing’ comes closest to this feeling that I and Korn fans love so much. The chorus is so powerful and daring- it’s very in-your-face. 

Korn released the track as their first single, which is a great choice, considering it sets the tone for the album. This song expresses putting an end to anger and beginning the healing. The realization alone is part of this process. 

“The more you fall for it, it’s never gonna quit,” sings Jonathan Davis, lead vocalist and frontman, realizing the damage and encouraging himself to overcome it.

‘Requiem’’ is almost a parental album, giving advice to whoever happens to listen. Handing down recommendations learned from personal experience, Korn provides something to gain besides just music to the ears. 

My personal favorite is ‘Worst Is On Its Way’, which is reminiscent of ‘90s Korn as well, specifically ‘Freak On A Leash.’ 

Davis brings back his beatboxing we know and love. It is entirely thrilling and forces me to bob my head like a little puppet. 

The most threatening track, ‘Hopeless and Beaten’ expresses true vulnerability and longing. You can hear Davis imploring for help in the background, which is subtle but powerful. 

‘My Confession’ is very assertive and sets the record straight for the listener. This song reminisces of old-school Korn-ish groove and is very expressive with amazing drums per usual by Ray Luzier.

This album is a great example of modern metal done wonderfully well. They have evolved from slipping into human suffering to overcoming it. Korn was able to try something new while staying consistent with their sound and produced an album so perfectly melodic. 

10/10.