King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard hop genres on ‘Omnium Gatherum’

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, a wonderfully erratic band known for genre-hopping and psychedelic rock, released their latest album ‘Omnium Gatherum’, which continues what their signature sound.

The Oxford Language dictionary defines “omnium gatherum” as a collection of miscellaneous peoples or things, which is exactly what Gizzard does with this album. 

‘Omnium Gatherum’ has a little something for everyone. Tastes from each of their albums are displayed in this one. 

I mean––take a look at ‘Gaia,’ ‘Ambergris,’ and ‘Sadie Sorceress’ placed back to back. It’s quite a versatile arrangement. 

‘Sadie Sorceress’ and ‘The Grim Reaper’ introduced GizzRap, which is just King Gizzard rapping. They are so different from Gizzard’s norm but there’s nothing wrong with that.

Occasionally, King Gizzard’s beats sound similar to the Beastie Boys’ beats. ‘Kepler-22b’ sounds like Beastie Boys’ ‘Professor Booty,’ specifically in its beginning. There’s something about ‘Sadie Sorceress’ that has a Beastie bop touch too.

There is such an array to choose from, but my favorite song may either be ‘Gaia,’ ‘The Dripping Tap,’ or ‘Blame It On The Weather.’ I’m leaning further towards ‘Gaia.’

‘Gaia’ is exceptionally done, ferociously paced, and reminds me of my favorite King Gizzard album ‘Infest The Rats’ Nest.’ I love their thrashy metal even more than their psyche rock. 

‘The Dripping Tap’ stands at 18 minutes long but gains traction about a minute in and doesn’t shy from a winding adventure. It tricks the listener with something more soulful before hopping into their heavier tone. 

‘Blame It On The Weather’ is a colorful track. I love the drumming in the beginning,which reminds me of the beginning of ‘Work This Time,’ the first song of theirs I had ever heard. 

‘Blame It On The Weather’ is like a lighter alternative to the songs on ‘Infest The Rats’ Nest’ due to it seemingly alluding to the realities of climate change. 

The title pokes fun at climate change deniers who ignore its signs by labeling it as “just” a bad weather day––“go on then, blame it on the weather.”

They took such a brooding subject and delivered it in a cheerful tune––exceptionally done.

I really enjoy ‘Evilest Man’––it’s got the classic Gizzard “woo” and somewhat reminds me of ‘Sketches of Brunswick East’ with its more glittery, psychedelic chime. 

Directly after ‘Evilest Man’ is ‘The Garden Goblin’ which, at times, feels a little bit reminiscent of The Beatles’ psychedelic era. 

‘Predator X’ is very similar to ‘Gaia’ with its heaviness, though ‘Gaia’ is a smidge heavier. It does wonders for the album though.

I also enjoy ‘Presumptuous’ as it’s very catchy with its smooth, melodic repetition.

‘Magenta Mountain’ ranks currently as their most popular song on Spotify and fairly so since it’s great, but I do believe other songs are more deserving of that first spot. It is a splendid, vibrant song though. 

Even though ‘Omnium Gatherum’ is entirely erratic, it still feels like a unified masterpiece. It is rare that I like a King Gizzard album, or any album, in all its entirety, but I truly appreciate each song from this album. 

9.5/10