Que Delta week a success

Every year since 1980, the Mu Nu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and the Nu Eta Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity come together to celebrate Que Delta, a week-long service learning event.

This year’s Que Delta week helped to raise money for the Joey Jude Foundation, Boys & Girls Club, Oseola McCarty Development Center, Relay for Life and Rock for Autism.

Senior nursing major Casey Polk, who served as chair of Que Delta for the Mu Nu Chapter, says that Que Delta week is full of fun opportunities for students to take part in alongside the Hattiesburg community.

“Throughout the week, we also have events for the students to enjoy such as a gospel explosion, where we highlight talents of Christian groups and individuals, open community service for the public to gain service hours, an on campus pool party in the Payne Center, A Kids Carnival on Campus also for service hours as well as interactive game nights and a picnic for everyone to enjoy,” Polk said.

Outside of Que Delta week, Polk says that her chapter has adopted the Oseola McCarty Development Center and provides them with supplies and volunteers throughout the year. Their sponsorship has provided the center with books, toys and materials to help them build a new playground so far.

Despite the efforts that USM fraternities and sororities take to give back to community through charity work, some might find their philanthropic efforts surprising considering the many negative portrayals of Greek Life. Evidence can be found of this on the USM Confession Page.

“How does a sorority girl meet a guy that isn’t in a fraternity? I’m finally tired of getting treated like s*** by these guys, and I’d really like to meet someone outside of Greek life for a change… I just feel like I never do.” -March 18 2014

“You know that feeling you have when you pledge a sorority just because they’re ‘popular,’ and you realize you regret your decision? Yeah, that’d be me right now….”- December 2013

“Sometimes when I go to a sorority’s date party with one girl, I end up leaving with another. Talk about leaving your options open.” -December 2013

Omega Psi Phi member Hakeem Oduniyi says he joined because he felt his personality and his goals were in sync with what it means to be an “Omega Man.” He emphasizes that charitable events like Que Delta week are ways that fraternities and sororities can replace misrepresentation with positivity.

“Our accolades speak for themselves. Being a member of a Greek organization means that you have to make a lifelong commitment,” Oduniyi said. “Negative stereotypes will always follow, but it is the work, time and effort you put into those organizations to maintain a successful image that will help you combat them.”