Luckyday Superhero 5K Saturday

At The University of Southern Mississippi, the Luckyday Citizenship Scholar Program will host its Superhero 5K run Saturday, March 29, at the Intramural Fields from 9 to 11 a.m.

During a spring leadership retreat in January, Luckyday students decided to put on a 5K run to raise money for Hattiesburg’s domestic abuse animal shelter. The organization looks to raise $500 with all proceeds going to the animal shelter.

Shanice Hicks, a junior hospitality, restaurant and tourism management major as well as Luckyday president, said this is the first 5K the Luckyday program has ever put on, but she feels it is the first of many to come.
“I’m very excited about the 5K and I can’t wait to get out there with my Luckyday family and cross the finish line together,” Hicks said.

Luckyday scholars chose the Superhero theme believing that everyone needs a hero, especially those suffering from domestic violence and abuse. The cost of the race is $10 until Thursday at midnight. Runners can pay online at racesonline.com, searching for Luckyday Superhero 5K. After midnight Thursday through Saturday, the cost of registration will increase to $15.

Registration is set for 8 a.m. and the event is open to the student body and Hattiesburg community. The race will begin at 9 a.m., starting and ending at the Intramural Fields. Although it is a race, participants are free to walk.
There will be a water station at the 1.5 mile mark and fruit and Powerade at the finish line. The awards ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. Soccer Locker and Runner’s High donated awards on behalf of the event.

“We encourage all volunteers and participants to dress up as their favorite superhero against violence and abuse,” said Bradley Floore, a junior finance and accounting major and wellness team leader for Luckyday. “I am super pumped. Whether rain or sunshine, the race will go on and we will run for those who cannot.”

“This is an awesome opportunity for the community to get out and run against domestic violence,” said Perry Overstreet, a sophomore forensic science major. “Our run is symbolic of the victims’ fight to overcome adversity.”
For more information about the Luckyday Superhero 5K, email Bradley Floore at [email protected] or [email protected].