Former Southern Miss starting quarterback Billy Wiles enters the transfer portal

Jackson Kennedy

Former Southern Miss starting quarterback Billy Wiles entered the transfer portal as a graduate transfer the Printz learned Friday. It was first announced by Pete Nakos from On3sports and is just another development in the quarterback saga during the Will Hall era.

The announcement comes just one day after Wiles and the Golden Eagles completed Spring Football.

Here was Billy Wiles’s announcement via X:

Wiles, the former Southern Miss starting quarterback in 2023, transferred to Southern Miss from Clemson University after joining the Tigers as a walk-on in 2021 before head coach Dabo Swinney placed Wiles on scholarship.

He did not play much football at Clemson, only playing 11 snaps in 2021-22 and did not see any action on the field in 2022. But, playing behind the prospects of DJ Uiagalelei and Cade Kulbnik alongside Clemson QB coach Brandon Steeter, USM fans were no doubt intrigued when Wiles announced his transfer to Southern Miss in 2022.

Wiles battled out Holman Edwards in Spring and Fall Camp and ultimately won the starting quarterback job and started the first 10 games for Southern Miss. But, during the last few games of those 10, Ethan Crawford started to slowly take playing time away from Wiles.

Crawford led Southern Miss in a game-tying drive against Louisiana in an overtime win. He led some scoring drives against Appalachian State in Boone, NC. And eventually, Ethan Crawford got the start against Mississippi State in Starkville.

Wiles threw for 1,940 yards and 11 touchdowns at Southern Miss.

The transfer comes as Southern Miss is battling an ongoing quarterback battle. Florida State transfer Tate Rodemaker, Crawford, and freshman John White are all in the mix for the starting job.