New GTA is a must-play

Grand Theft Auto 5 has been out for nearly two weeks, and it’s on pace to become the top-selling video game of all-time.  According to IGN.com, it has already raked in over $1 billion in sales. That figure will only increase as Christmas draws closer and more gamers get their hands on this masterpiece.

In my opinion, one of the most important aspects of any video game is the uniqueness of the storyline.  Few can claim to be as unique as GTA 5.  It features three playable characters that are all in the pursuit of one common thing:  money. And lots of it.  How do players get this money? That’s for the player to decide. Participate in bank heists, invest in real estate or play the stock market to make what Breaking Bad’s Jesse Pinkman calls, “fat stacks.” Oh yeah, did I mention that the game features a hidden secret from the critically acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad? I won’t spoil the secret, but I can say that fans won’t be disappointed.

Another important aspect of a video game is how realistic the entire experience is. I would argue that it is the one of the most realistic video games of all time. Looking to break a sweat? Go play some golf or tennis. Want to relax? Do some yoga or maybe catch a movie.  ith all of these activities and many more available, a large map is definitely required. According to an article on Kotaku.com, the game map is bigger than GTA San Andreas, GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption combined. Now that is a big map! Almost anything is possible in this adventure, and with that comes a lot of criticism.

Every Grand Theft Auto title features some activities that frequently find themselves under the microscope. GTA 5 is not shy in offering gamers alternate opportunities while playing. For instance, it is the first GTA title that allows your player to smoke marijuana, but perhaps the most criticized portion of the game is use of torture. During a particular mission, the player uses a variety of tools to force a captive to spill his secrets. Although some parts of the game are considered dark, it’s only intended for mature audiences.

I have played many video games in my lifetime, and few can compete with the entertaining and unpredictable world of GTA 5.  According to ibitimes.com, it is likely the final GTA title to be released on the current generation of consoles. Regardless, gamers will be enjoying this game for many years to come. For anyone looking for an open-world adventure, look no further than Grand Theft Auto 5.