USM hosts debate against British adversaries

The Southern Miss Speech and Debate Team will host a battle with a team from Britain. 

Two U.S. representatives will debate with two British representatives on the topic of “We should welcome the rise of populist political movements.”

Sponsored by the Department of Communication Studies, the debate will open the floor to Meredith McPhail and Kianna Mitchell from Southern Miss, and Francesca Whalen and Matthew Willmore from England. 

A yearly event, the group from Britain comes to America to debate teams across the United States at various universities. For the fourth time in a row, Southern Miss will play host to the British team. Southern Miss is also the only school in the state to participate in the debate and is one of only a few institutions in the southeastern United States. 

As an added incentive to the public attending the event, there will be a section of the debate in which the public will be able to discuss the winner via their cell phones. 

The formal debate will be held on Nov. 6 at 6 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Center Ballroom 1. The event is free and open to the public, who will be able to engage in the debate and determine the winner.