Golden Eagles break records at Vandy invite

Southern Miss traveled to Nashville to participate in the Vanderbilt Invitational and managed to break three Southern Miss records in the process.

On the first day, Dana Dillistone, Mariam Kromah, Kristin Zarrella and Alondra Hoyos competed in the women’s distance medley relay, running a time of 11:51.39.

Zarrella opened on day two of the competition by breaking a school record of a 4:51.24 in the mile by running a 4:49.98 in an eighth-place finish. Zarrella’s previous best was a 5:05.17, a six-second difference from what she ran in this event.

Kromah broke another school record by running a 54.21 in the 400-meter dash, placing first. Senior Christopher Monroe went on to break the third school record of the day with a triple jump best of 15.23 meters.

“Zarrella really started day two off with a bang, by breaking the school record in the mile,” said John Stuart, head coach. “The very next event, (Mariam) Kromah wins the 400 and sets a school record as well. And then to cap it off, Chris Monroe sets a school record in the triple jump.”

Not to be outdone, senior Elbert Rogers placed second in the men’s 400-meter dash with a 47.43.

“There was a great deal more competition this week and our upperclassmen leaders really met the challenge,” Stuart said. “We had some great efforts from the freshman. We are going to continue to expect these efforts going forward.”

Many more Golden Eagles participated in the invite, placing anywhere from sixth place to tenth. With the overall talent on the track and field teams, coach Stuart says he looks forward to keeping the momentum going.

“I’m very pleased with our overall effort and we are going to continue to build momentum,” Stuart said.