Golden Eagles drop contest to UAB, 1-0

After two tie contests against conference opponents Old Dominion and Charlotte at home, the Southern Miss Women’s soccer team (6-7-3, 0-5- 3 C-USA) lost a close one to the UAB Blazers on the road in Birmingham.

The only score in the contest came in the first minute when UAB forward Caroline Kehrer got one past Southern Miss goalie Kendell Mindnich for a 1-0 UAB lead. This score would hold for the rest of the game, giving UAB the victory over the Golden Eagles.

Despite out-shooting the Blazers 16 to 11, including six shots on goal, the Golden Eagles were not able to get one past UAB goalie Kelsey Daugherty, who had five saves on the night.

Freshman Miah Zuazua lead the Golden Eagles with six shots and two shots on goal. JoAnnie Ramos, Karen Torres and Stephanie Garcia each finished with two shots apiece.

Fouls were also a big part of the contest. Southern Miss committed five fouls against UAB, including four in the first half. On the other side, UAB committed six fouls against the Golden Eagles, resulting in an aggressive game for both teams.

Southern Miss returns to action on the road against conference opponent Middle Tennessee on Sunday, Oct 22. The game is set for 2 p.m.