‘No Payne, No Gain’ kicks off

Kate Dearman
A Southern Miss student works his abdominals in the Workout Zone at the Payne Center.  Kate Dearman/Printz
A Southern Miss student works his abdominals in the Workout Zone at the Payne Center.
Kate Dearman/Printz

A common new year’s resolution is to lose weight or get in shape for spring break. One of the most common problems with keeping new year’s resolutions is not having the motivation to do so. The Payne Center is now offering “No Payne, No Gain” program that will be sure to get people motivated to get to the gym this semester.

With all of the facilities and programs offered at the Payne Center, from a variety of group exercise classes and 7,900 square-foot Workout Zone, this gives students, faculty and staff more of a reason to pay more visits there this semester.
The program begins Monday, Jan. 27, and concludes during finals week of the semester on May 8.

“‘No Payne, No Gain’ is a computerized incentive program to get students and rec card holders into our Payne Center to take full advantage of everything we have to offer,” said Abigail Elias, coordinator for fitness and wellness at the Payne Center.

“All you have to do is log into the computer located near the turnstiles in the Payne Center using your ID number and then enjoy your workout. The computer automatically logs you out,” Elias said.

The computer keeps track of students’ number of visits to the Payne Center for the semester. The more visits a person accumulates, the more prizes they can win, like T-shirts and Eagle Dining gift cards. The only rules for the program are that a person cannot log in for a friend and cannot log in twice in one day.

Students are already excited to get started with the program. Ryan Coleman, a sophomore electronics engineering technology major, cannot wait to start logging in every time he visits the Payne Center to practice his racquetball or table tennis with his friends.

“I think the ‘No Payne, No Gain’ (program) is a pretty good incentive to workout,” Coleman said. “You’ll be able to keep track of how often you are going and it gives you a little something to work toward. After all, what college student doesn’t like free stuff?”

Even though this is such a great way to get people motivated get up and workout, very few students actually know about it. Even frequent visitors to the Payne Center, like sophomore accounting major Ben Blake, may not be aware that this program exists.

“Honestly, I wish this had been advertised more,” Blake said. “I go to the Payne Center all the time but this is the first I’ve ever heard of this program. I would walk by that computer kiosk all the time, but I never knew what it was for, so I never gave it a second thought.”

For more information about the Southern Miss ‘No Payne, No Gain’ program, visit usm.edu/rec-sports/group-exercise.