Southern Miss Basketball looks to make turnaround with new, but familiar faces

Charlie Luttrell

Head Coach Jay Ladner looks to improve the program’s record in his fourth season with the Golden Eagles.

2022-2023 Men’s Basketball Preview

Heading into his fourth year under the helm of the Golden Eagles, Head Coach Jay Ladner looks to change the tide after three consecutive losing seasons. Coming off of one of the worst records in program history with a 7-26 finish last season (only behind the 0-24 1971-72 season), the future of the program under Ladner’s leadership was put into question.

But Southern Miss Director of Athletics Jeremy McClain announced in a statement that the program would continue with Ladner as the leader of the program. Ladner addressed the question and gave gratitude for the agreement to continue, but moved his focus toward on turning the program around.

“Addressing the elephant in the room, it’s time to win some ball games. I want to make sure everybody understands that, and we understand that, and I more than anybody, ” Ladner said.

Since regaining his job security for another year, Ladner has changed his coaching staff significantly by adding Assistant Coaches Juan Cardona and Nick Williams, and promoting Former Graduate Assistant Isaish Carson to assistant coach.

There are a few key returners for a team with only seven familiar faces, including forward Deandre Pinckney, Denijay Harris and guard Mo Arnold.

Pinckney looks to take an even more prominent role in his third year as one of the longest-tenured athletes in Ladner’s program. Last season, Pinckney proved to be a valuable asset for the Golden Eagles, averaging 8.9 points per game and 5.3 rebounds per game in 24 minutes per game.

DeAndre Pinckney scores on a layup in exhibition match against Delta State (Charlie Luttrell)

After his season ended early due to a hand injury, guard Mo Arnold returns for his second year with the Golden Eagles set to get more play time in a role along with Ole Miss transfer Austin Crowley.

Following Arnold’s 12-point performance on five-of-seven shooting in its exhibition match versus Delta State, Ladner praised Arnold’s growth

“He’s one of the most improved players I have ever coached. He’s solid as a rock. His scoring has changed- he’s worked at it since the time we got done with the season last year. He’s lived in the gym and played with a lot of confidence. I think the world of him, and he’s very consistent,” Ladner said.

Mo Arnold directs the floor in game action. (Charlie Luttrell)

Previous to last season, Ladner and the squad had another huge talent turnover with nine newcomers.

Graduate Student 6-foot-9 Chilean Forward Felipe Haase from Mercer University is headlining this talent turnover by bringing veteran leadership to the team. Haase started his career at South Carolina before transferring to Mercer after his sophomore season.

In his time at Mercer, Haase collected numerous accolades in the 2021-22 NABC All-District Second Team, 2021-22 All-Southern Conference Second Team, and 2020-21 All-Southern Conference Tournament Season Honors.

Last season Haase led the Bears in scoring, averaging 14.8 points per game and 5.6 rebounds per game. The forward also stretches the floor for the Golden Eagles after shooting 40.6% percent from the perimeter, leading the conference.

Felipe Haase knocks down three-point shot against Delta State in exhibition match. (Charlie Luttrell)

“The second he walks on the court, he makes everyone better. Everybody loves him because he is about everyone else; in the end, he’ll think about himself. Him making it about everybody else, everybody else will know when his time is.” Assistant Coach Juan Cardona said on the 4th Street Sports Show.

The addition of Haase will assist with three-point shooting, an area where the Golden Eagles struggled mightily behind the arc, with only 31% shooting as a team last season.

In the team’s exhibition versus Delta State, the squad shot 11-for-29 at 37% from the three and started hot in the first half shooting 46%. Haase contributed two threes on two-of-three shooting from the perimeter.

“To win games at a high level, you have to be able to shoot the three. If you are not able to shoot the three, it’s hard to win games. Shooting the three opens up the floor for driving lanes and is a huge help,” junior Guard Mo Arnold said.

Another player who can immediately impact the Golden Eagles is Austin Crowley. He led the Rebels in assists on the season with 77 for the year and averaged 4.8 points per game all while coming off the bench.

Since the beginning of fall practice, players and coaches have spoken highly of the team’s chemistry this upcoming season. A vital component of this may be because six guys have ties to the Miami Metropolis area, helping to strengthen the chemistry.

“We’ve been working all season. It’s a whole different feel now; everybody cares. It’s a brotherhood now,” Arnold said.

This connection is partly due to Cardona’s roots as the head coach of Miami Christain School, where Felipe Haase and guard Neftali Alverez played for him before reuniting at Mercer University. In addition, graduate student Nico Aguirre, a Chilean native, has connections to Haase as they each play on the Chilean National Team alongside guard Marcello Perez.

Assistant basketball coach Juan Cordona displays emotion coaching the team. (Charlie Luttrell)

Transferring from FIU, junior 6-foot-8 forward Victor Hart also shares the Miami connection with Pinckney.

“Alverez was a part of my senior class,” Pinckney said. “I played against him in all-star games in high school. I scrimmaged against him. I’ve seen Felipe a couple of times years before. Marcello was down in Miami at Barry University. I knew him because my former JUCO teammates were at Barry as well, and so I talked to those guys. We have pretty much a connection, with all of us being from Miami.”

This established connection is evident on the court as Ladner expressed the drive the team brings every day and committed to being an “extra pass team”, something that relies on being on the same page.

“We’re at our best when that ball is moving. They can really pass the basketball. We are an extra pass team, and we are going to pass it to get a better shot. It often happened in the game there,” Ladner said after the exhibition match versus Delta State.

“We have very unselfish guys. Nobody is selfish on the team. Our problem last year was that we were too individualistic, focusing on individual goals instead of team goals. Our culture now is we focus on the team goals, and all the individuals will fall into place,” Arnold said.

Ladner states he expects to press on the defensive end, being more disruptive for the opponent with a larger rotation and praising the team’s strength and conditioning.

The Golden Eagles start tip-off at the Reed Green Coliseum at 7 p.m. versus Williams Carey.

“I’m excited to do things right, bring people to the gym, and get the fans involved. I can’t wait and prove those who picked us to be last in the conference wrong, ” Haase said.