Learn more about Africa, enroll in a new course this fall

Betty Press

The University of Southern Mississippi will have a new course called “African Politics & Culture,” to be offered in the fall 2023 semester.

Have you ever wondered what goes on in African politics or are curious about African culture in general? If you have, the University of Southern Mississippi has a new course for you called “African Politics & Culture.” The class, PS 454/554, will be offered in the fall 2023 semester on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 pm to 3:45 pm. 

Bob Press, professor of political science and legal studies will teach the class, which has no pre-requirements or prior knowledge of Africa. 

“Part of it is about politics and part of it is just having fun and learning how people live and what they eat and that kind of thing,” Press said. 

The course will offer a combination of student discussions, presentations, and lectures as well as adding in interesting, cultural issues. 

African Politics & Culture is not the average class on campus, said Press. He said that it will have a laid-back and fun atmosphere where students will learn about Africa’s political past and present, and look into why how women withhold sex to help stop a war in Liberia. Students will also get to read the famous Nigerian novel “Things Fall Apart” by Chinua Achebe 

“I’ve lived in Africa for a long time, and enjoy sharing those adventures and in the class, students do a lot of deciding and how the course goes,” Press said. 

Press will invite African students here at Southern Miss to join and talk about their country. Also, trying African cuisine and listening to African music. 

“The thing is, you don’t have to know anything about Africa, to take the course and enjoy it,” Press said. He has taught the course in the past but not for some years; so it is ‘new’ to current students.

Press was a former journalist covering issues in Africa for eight years and has authored three books that cover aspects of African politics. He and his wife lived in Africa for over 12 years and they once hitchhiked across the country. 

For more information, email Bob Press at [email protected] .