Roberts finishes second in Miss America 2016

Getty Images for dcp
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ – SEPTEMBER 13: Miss Mississippi, Hannah Roberts attends the 2016 Miss America Competition at Boardwalk Hall Arena on September 13, 2015 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo by Donald Kravitz/Getty Images for dcp)

University of Southern Mississippi alumnus Hannah Roberts was named first runner-up in the 2016 Miss America pageant on Sunday night.

If the new Miss America, Betty Cantrell of Georgia, fails to fulfill her obligations – Roberts will step in to action.

Roberts graduated from Southern Miss in May 2015, winning pageants all throughout her collegiate career. She not only won Miss Southern Miss 2015, but she also won the award in 2013.

Named  the Chemistry Queenback at school, Roberts graduated as a biochemistry major and a former Honors College student.

Although she has success in pageant showings, she hopes to become a plastic reconstructive surgeon.

“I hope to become a pediatric plastic reconstructive surgeon. I would love to do residency and come back and work in Mississippi and serve the children in this area who have cancer, have been in car accidents or born with birth defects.” – Roberts

When a contestant wins the Miss America pageant, she travels around the globe during the calendar year to spread diverse messages including racism, financial equality and diversity of education among other things.

For three years in a row, New York dominated the competition. Miss New York won the competition from 2011-2014, spanning a drought that the rest of America had to catch up to.

Now Roberts will be looked at as an advocate for peace and prosperity among all world nations. The former Miss Southern Miss may travel about 20,000 miles a month, always carrying her pride with her. To The Top.