Optimistic alumni weigh in

Spruce Derden-USA TODAY Sports
Aug 30, 2014; Starkville, MS, USA; Southern Miss Golden Eagles running back Ito Smith (25) advances the ball during the game against the Mississippi State Bulldogs at Davis Wade Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Spruce Derden-USA TODAY Sports

Alumni are guaranteed to give their honest opinion about their former school, and these two are hopeful for a better football season.

Recent 2015 graduate of USM, Colby Parker, believes this team is more established and grounded than it has been in years.

“I’ve been watching Southern Miss football since I was young and I remember the Conference USA championship days,” Parker said. “I’m ready for my (Golden) Eagles to get back to that.”

Parker is looking forward to the home opener against the Mississippi State Bulldogs on September 5th the most, because he believes this will be an exciting time for the city of Hattiesburg to host such a big game.

Parker is anxiously waiting for opening night, but is also eager to see who the starting quarterback will be. Nick Mullens and Tyler Matthews have been battling it out for the starting spot all offseason. Ultimately, Parker gives the edge to Mullens.

“Nick Mullens knows the system so he has an edge, but I don’t think the quarterback battle will be decided before the season. They will both get their chance to play.” – Parker

Rewind to 26 years ago, to a time when Southern Miss football was never overlooked. Debbie Ramey is a Southern Miss graduate from the class of 1989.

Ramey believes successful teams in the past for USM had dominant quarterbacks leading the way, like Brett Favre or Austin Davis, for instance.

“I think for this 2015 team to be great, they will need either Matthews or Mullens to step up and be that dominant quarterback Southern Miss has been looking for,” Ramey said.

Ramey is rooting for Mullens to be that guy for USM, due to his injury last season and overall experience with Todd Monken’s system. She is very optimistic that her Golden Eagles will have a better team than the past couple of years.

Being alumni for over 25 years, Ramey has seen many different logo changes, but believes this one really makes a statement for USM football.

“It has been hard to get used to,” Ramey said. “But I think it looks sharp and if they look sharp hopefully they will play sharp, too.”

Ramey is looking forward to opening game against Mississippi State as well because anytime Southern Miss plays an SEC team there will be a lot of publicity and attention for both teams.

“I just got my season tickets and I am really excited for the season,” Ramey said. “No matter the score or record, I will always support USM.”