Frank Gore Jr invited to the NFL combine

Charlie Luttrell
Frank Gore Jr. shifts his direction during a run against Liberty

Southern Miss star running back Frank Gore Jr has been invited to participate in the 2024 NFL Combine in Indianapolis, Indiana. The combine will take place from Thursday, Feb. 29, until Sunday, March 3, at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The honorable invite for Gore Jr is the second year in a row that a Golden Eagle will take place in the festivities in Indianapolis, as Jason Brownlee was invited last year to participate. Brownlee was not drafted but was signed by the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent.

An invitation to the combine is a crucial piece to getting drafted in the spring. Many scouts from respective teams in the NFL go to the combine, and it is live broadcasted on multiple networks. Gore Jr. will undoubtedly get the utmost attention due to his name and history and legacy at Southern Miss.

Gore Jr. finished his career at Southern Miss ranking third all-time in rushing yards with 4,022. Gore Jr. is one of only five Southern Miss running backs to rush for more than 1,000 yards in multiple seasons.

He also holds an FBS and Southern Miss record for 329 rushing yards in the 2022 LendingTree Bowl. He was selected as second-team all-Sun Belt running back two seasons in a row and held an AP all-purpose back honors the season before that.

Gore Jr isn’t done putting numbers on the field as a Southern Miss Golden Eagle. He shined in the Shrine Bowl he was invited to on February 1st. He did not disappoint in his representation of Southern Miss football.

Gore Jr rushed for 87 rushing yards on just six carries, earning him offensive MVP honors and adding to his bookcase of awards. He also scored a touchdown in the game with a 49-yard touchdown run on his team’s first possession.

Several coaches and players commented on social media on the abilities and draftibilty of Gore Jr. after his standout performance.

Gore Jr now turns his focus ahead to the combine at the end of February and will return home to Hattiesburg later this spring to attend Southern Miss’ Pro Day. The date for that has yet to be announced.