Annual prayer breakfast focuses on community building, education

University President Rodney Bennett speaks at the prayer breakfast. (Photo/Garret Grove)

The Mu Gamma Lambda and Mu Xi chapters of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity held the sixteenth annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Ecumenical and Interracial Prayer Breakfast Saturday, March 5.

People from across the university, city and state gathered within the Thad Cochran Center Saturday morning for fellowship, community, and prayer.  

During the breakfast, pastors from Hattiesburg and around the state came to speak and preach. 

Jon McCoy from Christ United Methodist Church in Jackson served as the keynote speaker. Pastors Carlos Wilson, Shronda Carter and Michael Dixon prayed during the program as well. 

Eddie Holloway is a member of the fraternity and dean of students emeritus at USM. He feels that these events offer a chance to highlight the breakfast’s goal of diversity, equity, and inclusion.  

“It’s my prayer that when we have programs of inclusion, that all people can experience their place at the podium, and on the stage of life,” Holloway said. 

It was the first time in two years that the prayer breakfast was held in person due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

And for those like Alpha Phi Alpha member Marauo Davis, it was a breath of fresh air.  

“Just by looking at the number and the turnout, I can see the value in this program and why it has gone on for 16 years and why it needs to continue,” Davis said.  

The theme this year was “Achievement by Quality Education – Dr. King’s Dream.” It complements Alpha Phi Alpha’s “Go to High School, Go to College” initiative, which was established in 1922.  

Its legacy seems to also continue, as it gave textbook scholarships to 11 high school seniors heading off to college.  

Robert Williams is an Αlpha Phi Alpha member and superintendent of the Hattiesburg Public School District. He states the importance of an educational background for enriching the lives of community members.  

“I think former Governor William Winter said it best, that the road away from poverty goes by the schoolhouse door,” Williams said. “And so education is key to transforming generational lives.”  

The next major event slated to happen within the local Alpha Phi Alpha chapter is their second annual golf tournament, set for Saturday, May 7 in the Shadow Ridge Golf Club.