Twilight’s “incredibly good” soundtrack is worth revisiting

Twilights incredibly good soundtrack is worth revisiting

‘Twilight,’ the film franchise based on Stephanie Meyer’s vampire romance novel series, was originally released in theatres in 2008 starring Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner. The successful sequel rounded up a large fanbase of “Twihards,” but these bloodsuckers received a soundtrack like no other. 

The ‘Twilight’ series is notable for its impressive soundtrack. In an interview with USA Today, Pattinson referred to the films’ soundtracks as “quite ahead of their time” and “incredibly good.” 

Pattinson has two of his own songs in ‘Twilight’ such as ‘Never Think’ playing in the dinner scene where Bella finds out Edward can read minds and ‘Let Me Sign’ where Bella was bitten and Edward needed to suck the venom out so she wouldn’t turn into a vampire. 

His singing voice is very different from his regular voice, especially from the American accent he fakes for Edward, so it’s difficult to recognize they’re even sung by him through ear alone.

Both songs are quite slow and indie sounding, something you would most likely hear played in a coffee shop, though ‘Let Me Sign’ is slightly more soulful and dramatic. 

‘Twilight’ begins with ‘Full Moon’ by The Black Ghosts, setting an ambient, alluring vibe for Bella’s transition into a new life leaving Phoenix, Arizona, and entering the town of Forks, Washington. 

It perfectly captures the adjustment of living in a sunny, orange place to somewhere much greener and darker. 

‘Supermassive Black Hole’ by Muse plays during the fan-favorite vampire baseball scene with sounds of powerful cracks of baseball bats from their superhuman strength during a rumbling thunderstorm.

Every ‘Twilight’ scene is blue-tinted, but something about the blue hue in this specific scene matches perfectly with the rebellious feel of this song. 

‘Decode’ by Paramore is such a masterpiece for this movie with its emotional, drawn-out high notes from Hayley Williams, the Mississippi-born lead vocalist. 

Filled with nostalgia, angsty tension, and breathtaking guitar, Williams’ stunning vocals are appropriately displayed in this song.

Paramore makes another appearance with ‘I Caught Myself’, which is slightly slower and less memorable than ‘Decode,’ but still amazing and moody sounding like early 2000s Paramore. 

‘Eyes on Fire’ was a favorite growing up and played on my purple iPod constantly. It has a mysterious and fascinating charm to it with enticing, deep drums that can be felt pounding in the chest–the perfect vibe for ‘Twilight.’ 

Collective Soul’s ‘Tremble For My Beloved’ is also enticing, especially since it was played when Edward follows Bella to the forest, where she says, “I know what you are”–you get the gist.

The beginning of this song has an interesting and eerie feeling, perfectly capturing the twisted, luring side of vampires. 

‘Spotlight’ by Mutemath is fun and quick-paced, perfect for its scene of Edward rebelling against his family and bringing Bella to school with him, catching eyes from everyone at Forks High School.

Linkin Park’s ‘Leave Out All The Rest’ is probably my least favorite song on the soundtrack, but still an important aspect of the movie. 

Chester Bennington, who was the lead vocalist, sings longingly to be remembered and seen as worthy and loving after their death, while the song’s tone is more angsty. 

The sweetest song and forever one of my favorites, ‘Flightless Bird, American Mouth’ by Iron & Wine, plays during Edward and Bella’s first dance together at prom, capturing a moment filled with delicate adoration for one another. This song displays tenderness perfectly and gives the soundtrack a nice variation. 

The entire ‘Twilight’ soundtrack aged well and is even appreciated by people who dislike the film franchise. It has an angsty, yet delicate romantic air with songs that haven’t been overused in the film industry.