RecSports hosts Burnin’ Love 5K

On Saturday, The University of Southern Mississippi’s Department of Recreational Sports hosted the 19th annual Burnin’ Love Color Run.

Runners of all ages participated in the race, and since the run was near Valentine’s Day, couples could sign up at a discounted rate.

Throughout the course, which was around Southern Miss’ campus, volunteers splashed runners with colored powder by volunteers from the Hattiesburg Fire Department, leaving many covered in colors from head to toe.

In addition to those wearing white shirts, many runners dressed for event with rainbow and Valentine’s Day-themed flair.

Although a stopwatch was set for runners to keep track of their own paces, the race did not have bib numbers or winners because it was non-competitive; runners found glory in getting covered in the most colors possible.

“The turnout was great,” said Emily Glen, student and public relations intern for Southern Miss Recreational Sports. “The fire department was there helping throw color at the finish line. They were having the most fun out of anyone.

Overall, it was a successful event for Southern Miss and the Hattiesburg community.”

Sophomore kinesiotherapy major Shelby Presnell participated as a runner in the 5K. She previously participated in a color run and enjoyed this one.

“It was a blast,” Presnell said. “Everyone was so nice, and the men from the fire department were really involved and excited, which made me excited about it too. I’m definitely doing it next year and bringing all of my friends.”

Merit Health Wesley, formerly the Wesley Medical Center, and the Hattiesburg Fire Department sponsored Burnin’ Love. The fire department’s benevolence fund received a portion of the proceeds from race entry fees, according to the event’s page on Facebook.

Check out the photo gallery here http://www.studentprintz.com/11604-2/