Netflix falls in “Love” with Apatow

As no surprise to critics, Netflix has made yet another profitable move by tapping Hollywood funnyman Judd Aptow to spearhead it latest original series. The show is called “Love” and since its Feb. 19 premiere, it seems fans seem to share similar sentiments about the show

The modern romance takes audiences inside the lives of Gus (Paul Rust), an aspiring writer, and Mickey (Gillian Jacobs), a radio station employee, who are both reeling from the aftermath of severing ties with their significant others. From the moment the show starts, there is a clear divide in the two characters. Gus is the timid people pleaser, and Mickey is the pill-popping free spirit. What they inevitably have in common is their lack of luck in the romance department.

In the first episode, the two attempt to heal their wounds by dealing with life the way a millennial stereotype  (or Apatow character) would: with prescriptions drugs and anonymous hook-ups. The honest feel of the show is the exact dose of Apatow’s creativity that has Netflix fans glued to their screens.

Despite its fluffy title, it is clear the show is a vivid representation of what love actually looks like in this day and age — no Prince Charmings, no white picket fences.

For most singles, the romance genre is not the most ideal section on Netflix to watch. This show might change that. Consider “Love” as the response to singles who want others to see the truth about dating and life as single young adult.

The trend of changing the romance genre is not something new, necessarily. Movies like “How To Be Single” and shows like HBO’s “Girls” have already made it clear that the typical fairytale love stories known for bringing in big audiences are a thing of the past. Apatow’s show brings that same idea to the streaming world, and it has Netflix’s younger audience hopeful for what this could mean for the future of the genre.

With Netlflix as the show’s platform, viewers have the opportunity to binge-watch the series in one or two sittings. That being said, the show moves at an annoying slow pace. For those who do not plan to binge-watch the show, the story can get stale fast. In the first episode alone, the two main characters do not meet until the last minute—annoying, but effective. Apatow knows that by drawing out the series’ plot, the show will most likely bring in more binge-watchers, which is exactly what Netflix heads wants.  

As for the series, the show continues on with ten episodes rounding out the first season. Yes, there will be love sprawled through, but it will not be in the way viewers are so typically immune to seeing it.

“Love” is now streaming on Netflix.