Former USM basketball player fatally shot

Jonathan Mills, a former University of Southern Mississippi basketball player, died in a shooting in Chicago on July 26. Mills, a 26-year-old Chicago native, suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Chicago police.

“The University of Southern Mississippi family is truly saddened to learn of the death of former Golden Eagle men’s basketball great Jonathan Mills,” Director of Athletics Bill McGillis said to Southern Miss Athletics. “Jonathan brought great joy to the Southern Miss fan base through his infectious personality, his passion for the game, his relentless pursuit of excellence and his tough, hard-nosed, blue-collar style of play. He was a winner.”

Former USM Basketball Coach Donnie Tyndall tweeted his condolences after learning of his death.

“I can’t believe My guy Jonathan Mills was shot n killed today! He was the TOUGHEST kid I ever coached! I love you bro! Prayers 4 family! RIP,” Tyndall wrote.

Mills played overseas with the London Lightning, a professional basketball team located in Canada, during the 2014-15 season and had returned home due to an ankle injury. At the time of his death, Mills was on his way to workout at his high school North Lawndale College Prep when he was fatally shot, according to the Chicago Tribune.

“He was a great kid,” said Tyndall to ESPN. “City-tough but a kindhearted kid. Straight warrior on the floor but a kid I would let babysit my daughters. He told me he loved me every time we talked. Just tragic.”

As a junior at USM, Mills made Third Team All-Conference USA in 2012 and averaged 9.5 points and 6.1 rebounds per game. Mills was awarded Defensive All-Conference USA twice in his career at USM.