Insomnia Cookies opens in the ‘Burg

Late-night bakery, Insomnia Cookies, opened its doors July 19 and has seen a line of people outside its door everyday since.

Located at 3203 Hardy Street in Hattiesburg, the bakery focuses on serving and delivering specialty cookies 9 a.m. – 3 a.m. daily. The Hattiesburg franchise is the third to open in Mississippi. Other locations include Oxford and Starkville.

Freshman music education major Austin Showers is a fan of the chain bakery.

“I love Insomnia Cookies,” he said. “I’ve only had one cookie and it was oatmeal raisin and I hate oatmeal raisin, so that says something. The store is very convenient, especially since we’re a college with well over 1,000 kids on campus at the same time, so, yeah, we’re going to get hungry.”

In terms of how Insomnia Cookies will benefit the community, Showers believes it will provide fundraising opportunities for faculty, staff, students and the university itself.

“Think about it,” he said. “No one wants to go pick up Krispy Kreme donuts. To have a delivery service that delivers cookies will make people actually want to go pick up cookies, because who’s not going to buy a cookie?”

“It was at Ole Miss before coming here and they finally moved it down here, which was a good idea on their part marketing-wise, because they’re getting more publicity.” said freshman dance major Jessica Mattes.
Mattes said since few other restaurants are open at 2 a.m. and will not deliver to her dorm, she finds Insomnia Cookies convenient.

“I can just call them over and tell them to deliver to my dorm and get a dozen cookies,” she said.
Types of cookies include Snickerdoodle, Chocolate Chunk, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut and the S’mores Deluxe at different sizes. The bakery also offers customers to buy cold milk to enjoy with their soft snacks.

Insomnia Cookies additionally offers cookie cakes, ice cream, brownies and cookie sandwiches.

According to the Insomnia Cookies website, its concept began in a college dorm room in 2003 at the University of Pennsylvania by student Seth Berkowitz. The expanding company has been providing its customers with its sweet snacks ever since, and now, finally, to Hattiesburg.