USM teams up with #WeAreHattie

In a series of volunteer events set for Sept. 9-10, The Center for Community and Civic Engagement (CCCE) at The University of Southern Mississippi will participate with local organization Volunteer Hattiesburg at United Way of Southeast Mississippi for #WeAreHattie – a volunteer campaign and outreach project for the Pine Belt community.

Project members aim to commemorate Sept. 11 with service projects in conjunction with the 9/11 National Day of Service.

USM students can volunteer for various events through the Southern Miss CCCE or by signing up to volunteer online at GiveGab for USM’s 9/11 Day of Service.

“We are trying to do things on Friday and Saturday to commemorate that time and to just show a united front with serving the community,” said CCCE Program Coordinator Christopher Ferrell.

Through the CCCE office, the university will host an event on Sept. 10 at Thames Elementary School for volunteers to work on the school’s community garden. The event will be from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., and students are welcome to get involved. Ferrell said volunteers would be in the garden planting flowers, removing weeds and building new flowerbeds.

The hashtag, #WeAreHattie, was used for the first time last year and is back this year with the combined effort of the university and city to unite the community.

“We are catering to the students and with our particular project,” Ferrell said, “We are hoping to get students [involved], but they are welcome to check out all of the other opportunities at Volunteer Hattiesburg and United Way.”

Volunteer Hattiesburg is hosting community service events at 3 p.m. Friday at Edwards St. Fellowship Thrift Store, 8 a.m. Friday at the Oseola McCarty Youth Development Center, 8 a.m. Friday at Petal Excel and 9 a.m. Friday at Christian Services Painting Opportunity.

“We need volunteers to commit to serve in honor and remembrance of victims and responders on the 15th anniversary of the attack,” Volunteer Hattiesburg stated on its GiveGab page.

The project will conclude at the city’s 9/11 Ceremony at 9 a.m. on Sept. 11 at the #1 Fire Station on Main Street.

“There is something for everyone,” Elizabeth Winton, director of Volunteer Hattiesburg, told Southern Miss Now. “We have opportunities ranging from helping out at the animal shelter to repairing and restocking the free libraries around town.”

The #WeAreHattie initiative is intended to bring Hattiesburg residents together community service.

For more information, go to GiveGab.com.