Chi Omega partners with Make-A-Wish for Songfest

Chi Omega hosted “Songfest,” its 65th annual fundraising event for the Make- A-Wish Foundation, on Dec. 4, at 5:30 p.m. at Reed Green Coliseum.

The event featured performances by all of the sororities and fraternities on campus and was a free public event.

Songfest began in 1951 and has raised more than $50,000 at past events. All money raised by the event is donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, a nonprofit organization that grants “wishes” to children with life- threatening illnesses. The Make-A-Wish Foundation was founded in 1980 and is the official charity of USM’s Chi Omega chapter. Chi Omega is involved with the organization in many other ways, with Songfest being their signature event and the oldest Greek philanthropy event at Southern Miss.

Several of the children sponsored by Chi Omega’s participation in Make-A- Wish wished everyone in attendance a happy holidays to kick off the show.

Each Greek organization performed 3 – 4 musical numbers including Chi Omega-themed songs. Many popular themes such as Frozen, The Beatles and Grease were exhibited by the performers, providing entertainment to the Hattiesburg community and several children benefited by the Make A Wish Foundation, who were also in attendance.

“Songfest is my favorite event of the season,” said Evie Price, Alpha Chi Omega’s song chair. “That is why for the past three years I have jumped at the chance to be songfest chair for Alpha Chi Omega. Being able to create a show, support Chi Omega and Make A Wish all while getting to spend time with sisters is something I cherish and look forward to every year.”

Songfest involves community sponsors as well as individuals who donate to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and they were all mentioned in the program.

“Songfest is one of the most rewarding parts of being in Chi Omega,” said chapter president Ellen Suss. “Involving an entire community to help grant the wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses is awe-inspiring. Together, we directly impact the lives of children in the Hattiesburg community, and my goal is to raise enough money to grant wishes for at least five children.”

The event this year raised more than $42,000, and winners were awarded in both the sorority and fraternity divisions. Delta Gamma was awarded winner of the sorority division, after their “Grease” themed performance. Pi Kappa Phi won the fraternity category, and their show featured classic and upbeat Christmas songs.

Reed Green Coliseum was full of community members ready to support The Make-A-Wish Foundation, Chi Omega and other Greek organizations.