Local United Way campaign seeks donations

The United Way of Southeast Mississippi campaign at The University of Southern Mississippi is officially underway and will continue through Nov. 13. United Way is an organization that seeks to improve local communities specifically Forrest, Lamar and Perry counties.

They provide funding and volunteers for four primary pillars: education, financial stability, health and support services. The campaign at Southern Miss is a donation-run campaign, where students, faculty and staff are asked to make donations and pledge to make future donations to ensure the well-being of the community.

“By donating to United Way, you help so many who are in need,” said United Way member Dan Kibodeaux.

“You’re there for fire victims, people who need financial counseling, young children in a shelter, victims of domestic violence trying to rebuild their lives, people who are homeless and displaced and many others – all at the same time,” Kibodeaux added.

Donations of $50 or more can be targeted toward a specific United Way affiliate, three of which are located on campus: The DuBard School for Language Disorders, the Children’s Center for Communication and Development and the Shafer Center for Crisis Intervention.

Anyone can donate to the campaign on campus, regardless of employment or student status. Contributions can be made via cash, check, credit card or PayPal. Full-time employees can have contributions donated from their paycheck.

For more information about donations or the campaign, contact Jeanne Gillespie at [email protected] or 601.266.4315 or Heather Brown at [email protected] or 601.266.5005.