New York judge dismisses Dr. Luke lawsuit

Ke%24ha+Photo
Ke$ha Photo

In the latest celebrity news, a New York judge dismissed a lawsuit Dr. Luke filed against Kesha’s mother.

Let’s rewind.

In September 2013, a petition to “free” Kesha from Dr. Luke’s management set up by a Kesha fan circulated the Internet and even accused Dr. Luke of “stunting” Kesha’s development as an artist. Kesha received an outpour of support as the petition gained more than 10,000 signatures. It was also later publicized on “My Crazy, Beautiful Life” that she had very little creative control of “Warrior.” Additionally, “Machine Gun Love,” her personal favorite song, was omitted from the album without her permission.

This was allegedly not the only time her work was not accepted.

The Georgia Straight alleged that Kesha reportedly wrote more than 70 songs for “Warrior,” but many tracks were thrown out thanks to Dr. Luke.

Co-director of “My Crazy Beautiful Life” Steven Greenstreet tweeted a picture in November 2016 of fans in front-row seating at one of Kesha’s concerts raising banners that read, “F*** Dr. Luke.”

The “TiK ToK” singer claimed in a California lawsuit that Dr. Luke was guilty of sexual assault and battery, sexual harassment, gender violence, violation of California’s unfair business laws, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent infliction of emotional distress and negligent retention and supervision.

However, in a New York counterclaim, Kesha alleged that Dr. Luke “sexually, physically, verbally and emotionally” abused her since the beginning of their professional relationship. Kesha said he drugged and raped her on two occasions, made threats against her and her family and called her derogatory names.

Unsurprisingly, Dr. Luke denied all the allegations made against him.

Kesha ultimately wanted to cut ties completely. She asked the court to break her contract with Dr. Luke. In his defamation suit, Dr. Luke said Kesha and her mother made “defamatory statements in an attempt to extort Gottwald [Dr. Luke] into releasing Kesha from her exclusive recording agreement.”

After asking the judge to dismiss Kesha’s sexual abuse allegations, he then filed a defamation lawsuit against Kesha’s lawyer, Mark Geragos. Dr. Luke claimed Geragos accused him of raping pop- singer Lady Gaga. Gaga’s management denied the claim.

Fast-forward to Feb. 18, 2015.

Kesha wore a Discount Universe dress that read “You Will Never Own Me” during New York Fashion Week. Many assumed the ensemble was a jab at Dr. Luke.

Months later on June 9, 2015, it was reported that Kesha amended her complaint against Dr. Luke and added a suit against Sony Music Entertainment.

Kesha’s lawyer claimed “Dr. Luke’s proclivity for abusive conduct was open and obvious to executives, who either knew of the conduct and turned a blind eye, failed to investigate Dr. Luke’s conduct, failed to take any corrective action or actively concealed Dr. Luke’s abuse.”

Geragos continued to fight for the injunction.

“She cannot work with music producers, publishers or record labels to release new music,” Geragos said. “With no new music to perform, Kesha cannot tour. Off the radio and stage and out of the spotlight, Kesha cannot sell merchandise, receive sponsorships or get media attention. Her brand value has fallen, and unless the court issues this injunction, Kesha will suffer irreparable harm, plummeting her career past the point of no return.”

In February 2016, the court denied the preliminary injunction.

Two months later, New York Judge Shirley Kornreich dismissed Kesha’s claims of sexual assault, sexual harassment and gender violence. Kornreich said the incidents fell outside the statute of limitations.

In August that same year, Kesha dropped the sexual abuse case in Los Angeles but continued her New York suit.

“This lawsuit [has been] so heavy on my once-free spirit, and I can only pray to one day feel that happiness again,” Kesha said.