Free Comic Book Day at local comic store

Southern Fried Comics in Downtown Hattiesburg will be hosting Free Comic Book Day this Saturday, May 6.

Free Comic Book Day is a worldwide event that allows people to get free comic books from their local comic shops.

Owner of Southern Fried Comics Barry Herring said this will be the store’s sixth time to hold Free Comic Book Day.

“Free Comic Book Day is a day where people can come pick up certain comics, get a little taste of what’s out there and maybe find the right comic for them,” Herring said.

Herring and his staff at Southern Fried Comics, teamed up with the Hub City Humane Society as a way to help raise funds for a good cause.

“A $5 donation gets you 10 percent off everything in the store,” Herring said. “If people donate, they will be put in a drawing to win a copy of every free comic from this year, and we’ll have four sets of those to give away. Also, those who donate will be entered to win a $20 store credit.”

Herring said that if people donate to the Hub City Humane Society they will be able to pick out more free comics.

“We can’t give everyone a copy of every free comic that is released, we allow people to choose four, but if you donate you can choose eight,” Herring said. “We will also be hosting a costume contest for kids. The winner of that contest will win four free movie tickets and a $20 store credit.”

Herring hinted that there might be a noteworthy event in the free Marvel comic this year.

“If people have been waiting for a big Marvel event, the ‘Secret Empire’ free comic is big,” Herring said. “It has a big, ‘what the heck,’ moment.”

Herring said there will be comics available for people young and old on Free Comic Book day.

“If people are going to see ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 2,’ there is a ‘Guardians’ comic,” Herring said. “We’ll also have a ‘Walking Dead’ comic.”

Herring said that Southern Fried Comics hosts events throughout the year and partners with local businesses.

“The last event we held was for the Spring Art Walk where we made buttons, which was really fun,” Herring said. “We did a comic book swap at the Porter and we also did an adult coloring party at the Southern Prohibition Brewery.”

Next month Southern Fried Comics will be celebrating Wonder Woman’s 75th anniversary.

“People should watch our Facebook page,” Herring said. “We will have a coloring event for kids and we’ll have bracelets and tiaras.”