Museum to host open house

Museum+to+host+open+house+
Robert St. John in the wine cellar of his restaurant Purple Parrot Cafe.   Melanie Boyd/Printz
Robert St. John in the wine cellar of his restaurant Purple Parrot Cafe.
Melanie Boyd/Printz

The Lauren Rogers Museum of Art (LRMA) will host a holiday-themed event Thursday, Nov. 21.

The Lauren Rogers Museum of Art will hold its annual Holiday Open House in the museum’s gift shop. Throughout the day, guests will be treated to a number of activities, including a book signing.

From 10:00 a.m. to noon, attendees will have the opportunity to meet local chef Robert St. John and visual artist Wyatt Waters, co-authors of the book “An Italian Palate.” Guests will also have the chance to meet and speak with other authors.

According to www.lrma.org, author Laurie Parker will be a guest at the open house event. Parker will discuss and sign her latest book, “The Matchstick Cross.” Parker, a Starkville native, has previously published children’s literature including the books “Mississippi Alphabet” and “A is for Angels.”

According to the museum’s website, between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m., authors Charline McCord, Judy Tucker, Cynthia Walker and David Sheffield will be signing copies of the book “Coming Home to Mississippi.” Author Karen Raspberry and illustrator Adam Trest will discuss their book, “Live in Laurel.”

The event will feature mostly literature-related activities, but there will also be entertainment for guests who are seeking a different type of experience. “Refreshments and free gift-wrapping services will be provided by the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art Guild of Docents and Volunteers,” said Liz Hawkins, LRMA shop manager.

Hawkins said the event is open to the public and admission is free.

The Lauren Rogers Museum of Art is located in Laurel and is a non-profit organization that holds exhibitions, collections and educational programs. For more information on hours and how to support the museum, visit lrma.org or call 601.649.6374.