Bower Academic Success Center to be housed in Cook Library

Southern Miss Athletic Director, Jon Gilbert, has made one of his priorities very clear; the renovation of the Academic Center for Student-Athletes. The current Academic Center is housed in M.M. Roberts Stadium, under the west side bleachers on the second floor. Serious cost and infrastructure issues with the current location resulted in the decision to relocate the Center.

Dr. John Eye, Dean of University Libraries, has partnered with the Athletic Department to develop the center in the heart of campus, Cook Library. Designs and donations are being put in place and Gilbert’s plan is to have the Center running within the next 12-15 months.

The center is named in honor of Jeff Bower, former Golden Eagle quarterback, who also served as head coach for 17 seasons. He totaled 119 wins, four Conference titles and six bowl game wins in his career and his attention to his athletes’ success in the classroom is what made him so special to the university.

Housing the Center in Cook Library will provide additional space and convenience for the Student-Athletes and their academic success. Jon Gilbert should release more updates after the initial phases are complete.