Thanksgiving dinner made easy

Thanksgiving break is rapidly approaching, and most students are preparing to go home for the holidays. For those who are not able to make it home, the prospect of a homemade Thanksgiving dinner may seem to be an unobtainable luxury. With these microwavable recipes, even a resident with no cooking experience and no access to an oven can have a Thanksgiving meal succulent enough to rival any other.

Microwavable Turkey

Ingredients:

• Ten- to twelve-pound turkey
  • Half a stick of unsalted butter, softened
  • Ground sage
  • Ground rosemary
  • Salt
  • Tony Chachere’s Creole Style Butter Injectable
  • Marinade

Procedure:

Begin by rinsing the turkey and removing the neck and giblets. Then combine the softened butter and ground sage (to taste) and rub the mixture underneath the skin of the turkey. Combine the ground rosemary and salt into a large enough mixture to rub on top of the skin of the turkey, including legs and wings. Inject the marinade into at least four points on either turkey breasts, as well as twice in each wing and three times in each leg; more injections may be necessary depending on the size of the turkey and the desired taste. Place the turkey in a microwave-safe roasting back and seal loosely (the bag must be able to breathe) with a non-metal tie. Place on a microwave-safe plate and place in the microwave, ensuring the turkey has at least two inches of clearance on either side. Cook at half power for nine to ten minutes per pound, or until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.

(family recipe)

Microwavable Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

• 4 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple
  • 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Procedure:

Wash the sweet potatoes and prick two to three times with a fork to allow the steam to vent. Place the sweet potatoes in the microwave and cook for about ten minutes on high power or until fork tender. Allow the potatoes to cool for at least five minutes, then peel and slice them. Place the potatoes in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Add 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and salt. Mash until smooth, then stir in the pineapple. Microwave on high for two minutes. Stir, then set aside. Place 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until the butter is melted, approximately a minute and a half, stirring halfway through the cook time. Add the marshmallows, and toss to coat. Top the sweet potato mixture with the marshmallows and microwave until the marshmallows are melted and the potatoes are fully heated, approximately two to four minutes. Sprinkle the finished casserole with pecans.

(courtesy of cooks.com)

Microwavable Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:

• 12 ounces cranberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange rind

Procedure:

Combine all of the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wax paper and microwave on high for approximately five minutes. Stir well and re-cover, microwaving another five to seven minutes or until the cranberries have popped and the sauce has thickened. Let the sauce stand, covered, until room temperature, then chill for three to four hours.

(courtesy of food.com)