Southern Miss and JCPenney host “Suit Up” event for students

On Sunday, Sept. 23, JCPenney at Turtle Creek Mall will host the “Suit Up” event dedicated to helping students of Southern Miss find the right clothing to wear for future job interviews.

The event is part of JCPenney’s campaign for college campuses across America. Previously, the clothing store collaborated with Texas Tech and the University of Arizona, but on Sunday, Sept. 23, Southern Miss students will have their chance to find what they need for their next job interview at a discounted price.

“JCPenney will close its doors at 6 p.m. and re-open 6:30 p.m.  Students will have to show an ID, and we’ll check them in,” Director of Southern Miss’ Career Services Kathy Killam said.

“It’s an opportunity to get help coordinating professional outfits at a very reasonable cost, and the additional discount allows students to save even more on what they spend.”

Killam further explained that staff will be in the store to help students find the right professional wear and take measurements to ensure the best fit. Those who attend will receive a 40 percent discount on dress clothes, socks, shoes and other apparel. Plus, if an item is already marked off, the added discount will further drop the price.

While students search for clothes to buy, JCPenney will host numerous giveaways, and Seymour, the Golden Eagles’ mascot, is scheduled to be there as well. Prizes students will be able to compete for a $100-dollar store gift card and a free makeover courtesy of the store’s salon department.

When asked about the upcoming sale, people across Southern Miss, especially students, agree this is a great opportunity to score new clothing without breaking the bank.

“A lot of students don’t know how to dress business casual or professional, and some of them don’t have enough money, so this allows them to buy stuff without spending a lot,” nursing major Mekayla Harper said.  “Forty percent on top of 40 percent is 80 percent, so you’re paying nothing for something that is normally 60 dollars.”

“It gives the student that push to go for that job or internship, and it shows USM is willing to take a risk which will benefit students in the long run after they graduate,” Southern Miss student Kay Johnson said.

JCPenney will remain open until 9:30 p.m.