Keeping up with New Year resolutions

Katherine Perry
Senior Chelsea Barnett rings in the new year by spending her first week of school in the Payne Center. Katherine Perry/Printz
Senior Chelsea Barnett rings in the new year by spending her first week of school in the Payne Center.
Katherine Perry/Printz

It’s a new year and a new you. This phrase was pretty popular on Jan. 1. People were posting selfies on Instagram with it, updating their Facebook status with it and even tweeting it.

So naturally, to be a “new you,” something has to change from the year before, or you’d be the same you. That’s where New Year resolutions come in.

To get healthy, to exercise more and to quit smoking are some of the most popular New Year resolutions. Maybe some of you have chosen these resolutions as your own.

Most of the time people don’t keep their resolutions. In fact, by Jan. 19, most people have completely forgotten about them.
Part of this is because they set their goals too high or they don’t have someone to hold them accountable.

To start off, one of my New Year resolutions is to get fit. I grew up playing sports, dancing and being active on a daily basis. Then I got to college, and pizza from A Stone’s Throw complemented with an Icee on my couch started to seem a lot better than jogging or working out.

Well, I want to change that.

I’m graduating in May and as much as I don’t want to admit it, I’ll no longer be a college kid. I can’t just sit around anymore, and Ramen is no longer going to be an acceptable dinner. So, I’m trying to get healthy and active again.

The way I’m planning to keep this resolution is I have downloaded an app that helps me keep up with the food I eat and the exercise I do every day. Plus, I can track my weight and progress along the way.

I’ve also joined a Facebook group with a few people who have the same goal and we are doing similar workouts. It’s a way to hold each other accountable and to motivate each other to keep going.

Many other students have made some New Year resolutions, some of them being serious.

Alison Cuevas, a freshman business administration major, has made two resolutions: to be more scholarly and to be more like one of her role models.

“I made these resolutions because these two things are very important to me,” Cuevas said. “I want to do better in school and watch myself succeed like one of my role models.”

Cuevas said it’s important to make resolutions.

“If you don’t have goals or something to work for, then what are you doing with your life anyways?” Cuevas said.
Freshman advertising major Matthew Beck wants to do more community service and become a better person.

“I chose these resolutions because community service is always a rewarding experience and as I’m becoming an adult, it’s for the best to just be a better person,” Beck said.

“I plan to keep my resolutions by making better grades, going to the gym, eating right and treating people better.”

Some resolutions were more of a wake-up call for other students.

Junior music education major Allen Moore made the resolution to be young again.
“Looking at myself, I realize I’m a 20-year-old workaholic, and that scared me,” Moore said. “When I realized I hadn’t celebrated a birthday in three years or spent the holidays with my family in two because of work, I knew it was time for a change.”

Senior public relations major Carlie Dikes picked to meditate once a week for her New Year resolution.

“I decided to meditate for 30 minutes to an hour once a week because I work every day of the week besides Sundays, plus I’m a full time student and I have two internships – so my life is pretty chaotic,” Dikes said. “I wanted to find a way to start finding peace in my daily schedule so I can remain sane.”

Freshman kinesiotherapy major Emily Murphy made a few resolutions, such as cutting back on swearing, not using her cell phone while driving, paying more attention in class and spending more time with her sorority sisters and roommate.
“I swear too much and I feel trashy when I do, so I’d like to become more classy than nasty,” Murphy said.

“I got a C this semester from not paying attention as well as I could have, so I’d like to really focus. And I want to be close with everyone.That’s my main goal.”

“I plan to remind myself of these every morning. Maybe I’ll start leaving little Post-it notes around the room to remind me, too,” she said.

Junior speech pathology major Alicia Frazier made the resolution to “Rise then Shine.” She plans to wake up, read a devotion and then workout every morning.

“I read this idea in a yoga journal and I decided it was something I desperately needed to do in my life,” Frazier said. “To me, this is the best way to start my day off on the right foot for success.”

So whether your resolution was similar to these or completely different, just remember to hold yourself accountable or get others to help you keep your resolutions.

Remember, it’s a new year so be a new you!