Students organize ‘Eagles Engaged’ event

Entrepreneurship students in the College of Business and Economic Development will host Eagles Engaged in Entrepreneurship Tuesday, Nov. 13 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Center, rooms 214 and 218.

The event is free for all students, faculty and staff. Members of the community are welcome to attend. Southern Miss students with aspirations of becoming an entrepreneur are encouraged to attend and students of all majors are invited. Participants are asked to come with an open mind or with questions about entrepreneurship.

The event is the first of its kind to be held at Southern Miss and is part of a class project for students in the New Venture Creation course in the School of Management.

Director of the Center for Economic and Entrepreneurship James Wilcox and Interim Director SherRhonda Gibbs,Ph.D., as well as the students enrolled in MGT 475  have been in charge of planning the event. The planning process has been heavily reliant on the students.

Eagles Engaged in Entrepreneurship will have creative activities, food and a shark tank challenge. Local entrepreneurs will give short presentations on topics such as start up, funding, human resources and marketing a business. Entrepreneurs in the arts will share their journeys too.

Students will learn more about resources available on campus for entrepreneurs and have an opportunity to network with local entrepreneurs and other students. The event will help students learn valuable entrepreneurial skills and tips to overcome challenges faced by start-up businesses.

Senior entrepreneurship major Gabrielle Morgan said, “We hope this event educates students on how to pursue their entrepreneurial ventures by giving them helpful tips from the seasoned entrepreneurs and business owners.”

Entrepreneurship professor and Interim Associate Dean  SherRhonda Gibbs, Ph.D., said, “Southern Miss students are extremely entrepreneurial, and it’s important to provide a venue for these students to connect, interact, and access the resources they need to start successful new ventures.”

Haley Brown, a senior entrepreneurship and accounting major, is hoping the students who are not entrepreneurship majors can be successful and be their own boss one day. Brown also hopes students will be more aware of the resources that are available to us and use them wisely.  

“I think if this year is successful, the next group of students to take the class will choose to host the event, but maybe in a different way,” Brown said.

For questions, contact Haley Brown at 601-606-3799 or [email protected].