Newscast opens for Wildframes at Thirsty Hippo

Past decades returned to life on Nov. 9 when Mississippi based bands Newscast and Wild Frames played at the Thirsty Hippo in Downtown Hattiesburg.

Opening for Thirsty Hippo veterans Wildframes, the 6-month old pop band Newscast relies on the keyboard and electronic sounds that give the group an 80s and disco style.

“Yazoo, Genesis, Human League or any 80s bands influence us,” Newscast guitarist Hayden Boyd said.

The denim jacket and canvas sneaker-clad group’s music is all original, using personal experiences for lyrical inspiration. Newscast is motivated to produce a style that will stand out in the local music scene by bringing a spunky, modern twist to an older genre.

“[Our style] stems from wanting to hear something different. There aren’t a lot of pop bands in the area,” lead singer Sal Almakky said.

The Jackson based band agreed that Hattiesburg is always a fun place to play. With other areas in Mississippi trying to create the DIY scene, Newscast is breaking into, Hattiesburg has one already in motion.

“I like the city a lot. Everyone is creatively free here,” Almakky said, “It’s really fun to see the genre grow. I have friends here, and they are just killing it in Hattiesburg.”

Newscast is working on new music as well as planning a tour for 2019.

“We are booking a tour for the beginning of next year, but for now we have more local shows in Jackson and Hattiesburg coming up,” drummer Logan Owensby said.

Wildframes is a garage rock band with the 90s and surf rock influences. All of the band’s original lyrics are inspired by personal experiences as well as fantasy. One of the group’s songs, “Metropolis,” is a combination of each of their dreams. Wildframes takes influence from each of their favorite groups such as The Pixies and The Cranberries to form their spunky style.

The 3-year-old group utilizes heavy bass and percussion to create high energy on the stage.

Wildframes discovered lead singer Leeann Rogers during a Hattiesburlesque performance after which the band asked her—and only her—to audition to sing for them. Since then, the group has created a name for themselves in the Hattiesburg music scene.

“The live performance is really where we shine because it’s a spectacle to see. It’s not just people standing there playing,” Wildframes drummer and Southern Miss junior biology major William Bird said.

Rogers said that performing allows for her too release creativity and feel accomplished.

“It’s nice to go and express myself and have people react to it and like it and to have a good time with the audience,” Rogers said.

Wildframes is currently taking a break from touring in order to focus on writing new music. While they do so, the band members will continue to work on other projects as well.

“I’m a part of another band, Electric Witch, and I also work for the Hattiesburg Art Council I’m always trying to stay active in the community as far as being artistic,” Rogers said.