BioShock shoots players sky-high

Courtesy+photo
Courtesy photo
Courtesy photo
Courtesy photo

With the success of the first two games in the BioShock series, there was much anticipation for the release of BioShock Infinite — a game that puts a spin on the underwater theme of BioShockby setting this adventure in the clouds.

The game starts off at a familiar place: a lighthouse, just as the first game did. Give it three minutes and suddenly the player is in a steampunk rocket, shooting up to the city of Columbia to rescue a girl named Elizabeth.

The game then deviates from the norm by revealing the details of the protagonist; his name is Booker DeWitt, and he is a military man turned private investigator. DeWitt has his own identity, too, so he talks with other characters throughout the game and voices his thoughts and opinions as they come to him.

My favorite feature of the game (and all BioShocks) is the mystery behind the plot. Why are you here? Who are you? What’s going on? In the same fashion of the original game, you find audio diaries (a sort of portable phonograph in this game) to help reveal the story and to give a background to the characters that you’re allied with or fighting against.

With the exception of a few scenes, I have to say that this BioShock doesn’t have the same amount of suspense and horror that the first two had, probably due to the setting; it’s a little difficult to feel scared when you’re running through a city in the clouds, ziplining from town to town and staring at the clouds, but what it lacks in suspense it makes up with an incredible ending (possibly better than the “Would you kindly?” twist of the first game).

The popularity of the lightning and fire-based plasmids in the previous BioShocks have been reimagined as consumable vigors in BioShock Infinite. The first time a vigor is consumed you acquire a new ability, and it works in the same fashion as plasmids. Perhaps to make up for the lighthearted setting, some of the vigors took a macabre turn; one, for example, summons a murder of crows to peck off the flesh of your enemies.

Although the BioShock series is characterized by its gorey first-person shooter action, one of the best aspects of the game is attempting to figure out the plot puzzle before it’s revealed. What does the “AD” scar on DeWitt’s right hand stand for? Who are the mysterious twins that seem to appear at random? Why is there a piano cover of a 1985 “Tears for Fears” song playing in 1912? Grab a copy of the game and find out—you’ll be in for an incredible ride.