‘Get Down and Derby’ to benefit charities

The ladies of Chi Omega dress up in their hippie attire as they perform karaoke night at Sigma Chi’s philanthropy event, Derby Days. Mary Sergeant/Printz
The ladies of Chi Omega dress up in their hippie attire as they perform karaoke night at Sigma Chi’s philanthropy event, Derby Days.
Mary Sergeant/Printz

Sigma Chi fraternity’s annual Derby Days week is underway. The fraternity’s philanthropy week, held Feb. 4-7, includes several competitions and events that raise money for Children’s Miracle Network and Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital.

On Feb. 5, members of the fraternity hid the Derby Hat, a Sigma Chi tradition, where a hat is hidden on campus and daily clues are sent out to tip off the hat’s location. The first group to find the hat gains significant points toward winning the overall Derby Days competition.

Sororities participate in several events throughout the week, centered around this year’s theme, “Get Down and Derby.”

On Feb. 4, Sigma Chi judged signs designed by each chapter around the “Get Down and Derby” theme. The Brother Auction also on Tuesday, is where sororities bid on Sigma Chi members to be a part of their dance team for the dance competition Friday at 5 p.m. at the Payne Center.

Sam Newman, chair of the Derby Days competition, said the Brother Auction brings in the most money for Children’s Miracle Network.

“Every Sigma Chi is auctioned off to the highest bidding sorority,” Newman said. “Upon being purchased each brother (has) to perform with the sorority in their dance competition.”

“I’ve seen guys sold for as little as $3 and as much as $300; the better the dancer, the higher the bid. It’s a lot of fun for all parties involved,” Newman said.

Sororities competed in a karaoke competition Wednesday night, where groups perform songs with lyrics that go along with the Derby Days theme. Jordan Nettles, a sophomore English major, joined in the karaoke competition for the first time this year.

“I’m really excited to participate in the karaoke competition because Children’s Miracle Network is such a great philanthropy and I’m glad I get to help,” Nettles said. “Derby Days was so much fun last year, so I’m glad to be able to participate in it again.”

Members of Sigma Chi, as well as several representatives from sororities, will visit Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital in Jackson Thursday. “We also take a tour and interact with some of the doctors and staff who helped treat some individuals with close ties to our chapter,” Newman said.

A benefit concert will take place Friday night at DeRe’ LaRouge at 9 p.m. The cover fee will benefit Children’s Miracle Network.