Deans prepare for Getting into Graduate School

Photo courtesy of graduate school panel.

Seniors applying for graduate schools should begin preparing for the next step in their education, and Southern Miss faculty is here to help, according to dean of the Honors College Ellen Weinauer, Ph.D.

Weinauer, along with Karen Coats, Ph.D., who is the dean of the graduate school, said the factors that set graduate school applicants apart will be discussed at the event Getting into Graduate School Oct. 21 from 5-6:30 p.m. in Gonzalez Auditorium, located in the Liberal Arts Building.

Coats said the event focuses on helping students learn how to construct an application,  take the necessary tests and learn about the high demands of graduate school. Students will also have the opportunity to ask their questions to a series of panelists from a range of fields.

Though both deans said graduate school is not for every student, they said they were greatly benefited by attending.

“Obviously, I’ve been through graduate school, and I have a career that I have loved as a result of having taken the time and invested in my education,” Coats said. ”I just want people to understand that there are so many options out there, and the doors are thrown wide open if you have a graduate degree.”

Southern Miss alumna and first-year accounting graduate student Paige Dillistone said she knows that she is benefiting from her program despite its difficulties.

“I would just say to do your research and remember that this is a choice,” Dillistone said. “You’re choosing to advance your education even beyond the four-year degree achievement. Be confident.”

Dillistone said having faculty and staff resources on campus helped her to prepare and easily transition into her graduate program.

Weinauer said faculty and staff mentors are the people who can write letters of recommendation, review your applications and help you find the program that is right for you.

“Effective mentorship is one of the most seminal features of a student who’s successful,” Coats said.

Coats said relationships with faculty and staff help students to better their networking skills, an important skill that will help students get into graduate school.

Weinauer said that all students, no matter the year, degree path or academic standing, are encouraged to attend Getting into Graduate School.