Crocodile rock with Spotify’s new pet playlists

Illustration by Lillie Busch.

Have you ever wondered what your pet was thinking? Well, Spotify wishes to help you understand your pet a bit better.

The global streaming service recently launched a playlist generator that curates the “pawfect” mix for your cat, dog, hamster, bird or iguana. It is another fun, endearing gimmick released by the streaming service, along with a “Soundtrack Your Ride” generator for roadtrips and an upcoming “Tastebuds” generator for sharing music tastes with your friends.

Creating your pet’s playlist is very easy. You first answer a variety of questions about your pet’s personality, such as shy or friendly and apathetic or curious. Then add a photo, a name, and boom: you have music for listening with your favorite animal companion. Spotify pulls songs from your listening history as well as recommended songs based on your animal’s personality. You also receive a shiny graphic to share on social media as proof of you and your pet’s solidarity. 

The Spotify playlist generator is another way to allow pets into our lives. Before leaving the house, my mom leaves the television on for her dogs in case they get lonely. A friend reenacts that famous “Lion King” scene by lifting her cat into the air. Others run Instagram accounts specifically for their pet.

For some, this enthusiastic behavior and a curated playlist might be a bit too much in the same vein as other Beverly Hills-type offenses. Such perceived injustices include dressing pets in jackets and carrying them in designer purses. For example, my dad thinks dogs should only eat pet food and not sleep in your bed.

However, science and statistics say otherwise in regard to animal behavior. Animals such as cats and dogs actually appreciate music. Furthermore, three-quarters of UK pet owners already stream music for their animals.

According to a 2002 study conducted at an animal shelter, dogs relax more often when listening to classical music. The canines will bark less, sleep more and be in a more relaxed physiological state. The Purina company asserts that cats are not altogether indifferent to music, but instead prefer music with softer sounds for their more delicate senses.

In conclusion, generating pets’ playlists is a perfect marketing move by Spotify, especially when 84% of pet owners say that their animal companions complete their lives. The playlist also makes record-breaking Spotify more personable than other streaming services such as Apple Music or Soundcloud. Spotify already curates individual daily mixes, so why not a mix for your pet?

So when you get home tonight, be sure to hug your pet a bit tighter, and dance on over to Spotify’s pet playlist generator.