Delta Gamma gives the gift of sight

A.J. Stewart
Freshman Katherine Billgreen makes a splash during Delta Delta Delta’s performance at Delta Gamma’s annual Anchor Splash event that took place Thursday evening. A.J. Stewart/Printz
Freshman Katherine Billgreen makes a splash during Delta Delta Delta’s performance at Delta Gamma’s annual Anchor Splash event that took place Thursday evening.
A.J. Stewart/Printz

Southern Miss Greek Life came out to show their support for Service for Sight during Delta Gamma’s philanthropy events, King Neptune and Anchor Splash.

The fraternity dance competition, King Neptune, had Bennett Auditorium overflowing with spectators.

“I think overall, King Neptune was a huge success and (I feel) that everything went as planned,” said Morgan Lambert, Anchor Splash director and junior exercise science major.

Sigma Nu fraternity won third place in the competition, Pi Kappa Phi fraternity won second and Sigma Phi Epsilon won first place with their Justin Timberlake routine.

Hunter Freeman, a sophomore business entrepreneurship major, was crowned King Neptune.

“It was awesome being crowned King Neptune,” Freeman said. “Delta Gamma is a great organization with a great philanthropy and I loved being a part of it. I’m so glad I can represent Sigma Phi Epsilon in such a widely known event. It’s a honor for sure.”

Freeman also said it was great to see all their hard work was well worth it.

“We started learning the dance a week and a half before the competition, but we worked really hard,” he said. “Sometimes we’d have practices that lasted more than four hours. It was exciting and relieving to find out we won and knowing that all of our hard work paid off. It was that moment when everything finally came together and we all knew those long practices were completely necessary.”

The members of the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity perform their dance routine for Delta Gamma’s King Neptune competition. Their performance earned them second place in the men’s division. A.J. Stewart/Printz
The members of the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity perform their dance routine for Delta Gamma’s King Neptune competition. Their performance earned them second place in the men’s division.
A.J. Stewart/Printz

Anchor Splash, the sorority dance competition and Greek Life relay event, filled the Natatorium with organizations all the way around the pool.

However, it was interrupted after the first relay event by a tornado warning issued for Hattiesburg.

“Even though we were not able to finish the relays, I was happy all the sororities were able to show off their dances,” Lambert said. “Overall I think it was a success with the little bit we were able to do.”

Lambert said the competition will not be rescheduled and that the winners for Anchor Splash will be determined by the dances and participation throughout the week, with the money drop, spirit, attendance and profit shares.
Lambert said that she is pleased with how everything turned out.

“Watching King Neptune felt great once the night was over because I got to see it all come together,” Lambert said. “Anchor Splash was different, though, because I didn’t get to see everything really fall into place like it should have.”

“But overall I am happy with everything and glad things went as well as they could have.”

“I would like to thank everyone who came out to support Delta Gamma this week and helping us raise money for Service for Sight,” Lambert said.

Lambert is still in the process of collecting money, so she is still unsure of how much money was raised through the events.