Summer Walker dives deep in ‘Still Over It’

This past weekend, R&B singer Summer Walker released her third studio album, titled ‘Still Over It’. It’s a direct sequel to her previous album, ‘Over It’, and has been highly anticipated for years now. With a length of 20 songs and a run time of one hour and four minutes, ‘Still Over It’ was great from top to bottom. 

Even before this album dropped, everyone was talking about it. Walker has worked on this album since 2019 while she was still pregnant. The birth of her child pushed the album release date back some more, only adding to the hype.

Walker then went through a breakup with her then boyfriend LondonOnDaTrack, who is a very successful producer. This added more fuel to the fire, and everyone wanted to know how she would handle these deep and personal subjects. A few days after ‘Still Over It’ dropped, some people were joking about how they were going to slide down the wall to better handle the album’s pain. 

Walker also knew the pain she talked about in this album. In an interview with Revolt, she explained the main messages of ‘Still Over It’, and what she wants listeners to take from it. 

“[I take] this opportunity to learn from my mistakes,” Walker said. “You don’t have to guess if something is love. Love is shown through actions. Stop making excuses for people who don’t show up for you. Don’t ignore the red flags. And don’t think you have to stay somewhere ‘cause you can’t find better — you can[,] and you will. Don’t settle for less — you don’t deserve it, and neither does your family.” 

After listening to it, I must say ‘Still Over It’ did all of that, and did so perfectly. I think this album is the best R&B release of this year so far. Of course, I say “so far” because Silk Sonic’s ‘An Evening with Silk Sonic’ drops this Friday and I have big expectations for it. But that is for next week’s music spotlight. 

But even after ‘An Evening with Silk Sonic’ drops, ‘Still Over It’ will remain a great project. She has features from a lot of top artists, including Cardi B, SZA, The City Girls, Lil Durk, Pharrell, Omarion and Ciara, which added onto the already excellent production. It captured the heartbreak and the betrayal Walker felt throughout its creation, and turned it into a learning experience. She goes off on this album and lets her feelings be deeply heard.

She also provides a sense of relatability with her music, which is why I love her as an artist. Walker is one of the most down-to-Earth musicians out there, and she understands everybody has been through some sort of hurt. She channels that energy and puts it into her music, and you can hear it in every single song on that album. 

Out of 20 songs on the album, 14 found a permanent home in my music library. My favorite song was “Unloyal” featuring Ari Lennox. The final rating that I would give ‘Still Over It’ is 7.5/10. Definitely Grammy nomination worthy!